1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HOA Driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forestfireguy, Nov 11, 2010.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We were given a last minute bid oppurtunity, and since we like to service 12 months we're looking at it pretty hard for plowing,salting.sidewalks and landscape maintenance. Here's the deal, it's a 28 building complex with 113 driveways, 63 are 12x18, 50 are 10x18. I'm thinking skid steers with back drag boxes, my question is how many? Blowers on tractors are really not a good option, as many of the driveways are only seperated by a 6 ft strip of turf, and besides I have access to skidsteers, but no tractors..........So how many sidsteers to wrap up a 4" storm in 5(ish) hours, will have a truck woth a V plow in there to clean up after the loaders, Also, whats the best way to salt all these tiny driveways?

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We did a 122 unit complex all patio homes, some single wide, some double, in 4-5 hrs with a skid & 8' plow, we could probably do it in 3 1/2 now with our mods. But that would be pushing it. If the budget allows I would use 2 full size skids (Bobcat S220 or similiar), to be safe, if it is stricly low price, the I would use 1. These tight areas are where skids excell.

3. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

So all the SS has to do is get the snow from the driveway into the roadway where truck/V plow pushs it somewhere?

4. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

My bad posted on the wrong thread.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

1 with a 9' blade could handle it. If you have 2 skids available then use 2 on that site. I've never used a pull back pusher. We always run 9' blades with wings.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Best I ever saw with two skitters was... First machine had what looked like a rear scaper blade that would normally be mounted to a 3 point tractor hitch....this was mounted to the boom, facing rearward, and stuck out about 4 feet from the cab. That machine drove up the shirt drives dropped the blade and 3 swipes pulled it out onto the steet...next machine came along with 2 yard snow bucket and stacked it up... I aware those guys were doing over 60 drives per hour no joke. But that was in a real tight area that mowing wise they told me a 4 man crew would mow 85-100 per day