1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Hmmmm... truck dilemma

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Lad, Sep 25, 2002.

  1. Lawn Lad

    Lawn Lad Senior Member
    Messages: 407

    This past summer I bought a Chevy 2500 HD ext cab with the 8.1 L engine and Allison Transmission. Can't wait to plow that bad boy. Great truck.

    I think I've decided that I'm also going to replace a Chevy '97 2500 reg cab with another new truck before winter. Here's the problem. Chevy can't locate my blue 2500 HD reg cab (don't need another extended cab) with 8.1L Allison Trans (minus a plow) close enough to do a dealer trade. Nor can they find the same truck with the stock 6L engine and stock transmission. So I'm left to ordering a 2003 from Chevy if I want my truck as specified which means I may see it before the end of the year.

    GMC can't find the 8.1L model w/ Allison, but they can find the stock engine and transmission. I'm not against a GMC (own four GMC's now). But I would have to take the stock engine/transmission. Which would have been no different before they started offering the 8.1L.

    So - the delimma is - do I wait and order the 2003 with the 8.1L, or do I buy now? I can plow the '97, but it's got a few problems that I just assume rid myself of now if possible. But I'm not desperate. Just looking for the right truck if possible - keeps me in new(er) trucks for fewer headaches. The truck will split residential drives with some smaller commercial lots. I don't know if I'll buy a straight blade or get the 8' 6" Boss V.

    For those of you who have both - what would you do? Will the 8.1L/Allison make enough of a difference that it's worth waiting for the 2003 mid season? I then have to off a '97 plow truck in the middle of winter - may not be as easy to sell.

    Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
     
  2. karl klein

    karl klein Senior Member
    Messages: 557

    i would wait for the truck you want with EVERYTHING YOU WANT. but, i also wouldn't want to buy a new plow and mount for the 97'. becuase then you will have to buy a different mount and wiring harness for the new truck.
     
  3. Tommy10plows

    Tommy10plows Senior Member
    Messages: 345

    new chevy?

    Dealer trades are a pain for the dealer on new trucks. My advice is to get on this new fangled thing call the internet and do a search for chevy delaers in ohio. then start e-mailing them till you find one that has your truck. you may be very suprised at the availability and the price too.
     
  4. mdb landscaping

    mdb landscaping Senior Member
    Messages: 823

    have you tried gmbuypower.com? my father ordered a 2500HD identical to mine with a duramax, and it was running 4 months late. He went on gmbuypower, found the exact truck up in new hampshire and told the dealer about it. the dealer traded one of his stock inventory cars that the dealer in new hampshire needed, and they gave my fathers dealer the truck he wanted.
     
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2002
  5. Lawn Lad

    Lawn Lad Senior Member
    Messages: 407

    These are good suggestions. I'll start looking for available trucks beyond what the dealer "feeds" me.

    The '97 truck has an 8' SnoWay. Okay for residential, but getting beat up on the commercials.
     
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2002
  6. Pelican

    Pelican 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,075

    I belong to a Ford forum where they have a section dedicated to new truck sales. I recall the Chevy guys here referring to a similar forum, can anyone direct him? On the site I visit, there's a member who provides a locating service, you might find one on the Chevy site.

    Might cost you a couple bucks and a trip, but I'll bet you find what you're looking for, maybe at a bargain!
     
  7. mdb landscaping

    mdb landscaping Senior Member
    Messages: 823

  8. digger242j

    digger242j Senior Member
    Messages: 672

    Just a thought...

    If you make a deal to trade the 97 on the 2003, and use it until the new one arrives (unless you really *break* something) the value isn't going to change all that much. Essentially, the extra wear and tear you'll put on the truck in the meantime will be at the next owner's expense.

    (Obviously I don't know how the trade in value balances against what you might get from a private sale, but if the numbers are close....)
     
  9. Pelican

    Pelican 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,075

    I can tell you from experience that if the dealer offers even a slightly reasonable offer for trade, I'd accept it. Due to the finance deals on new vehicles, the used market is soft right now, at least in my area. Lots of used vehicles out there, with few buyers, as a result, sale prices are deflated.