1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hmmm. What's the best way to go about this

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by White Gardens, Dec 6, 2011.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Haven't finished rehabbing my plow but I'm close.

What's going on with my truck is this. The front end has a 2 leaf pack for the suspension. Over-time and use, I feel like the front end sits a shade bit lower than I would like, especially with the plow. I also think (without having it completely set up) that it changes the angle of my A-frame so that it's not parallel to the ground like it should be. The A-frame is also set in the bottom hole to compensate, but I don't think it's enough. The push plates for the plow are set and really can't be re-positioned due to the frame and where the leaf-springs meet.

Here is what I'm thinking, and what do you guys think would be the best option.

A.) Re-arch the front springs and possibly add another leaf. On-line I noticed a three leaf pack that was offered for my truck. Again, I only have two.

B.) Just order a new 3-leaf pack.

C.) Or, get a couple of these for the front, though pricey, I would have adjustablity for the off season. This is the only true setup I can find for my truck and solid front axle. http://www.ocdiesel.com/Firestone-Level-Rite-Kit-p/fir%201003.htm

Do bear in mind, this truck is a dump truck. It rides like a dump truck so the over-all ride performance isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

re-arch = just send me your money . waste of time and will sag back out. and if i recall thay are tapered leafs = not able to play with arch set from factory .

best option = 2 new hd packs with 3 leafs.

best option #2 = add a leaf kit made just for your truck to make it 3 leaf front .

i know a few guys that ran air bags in the front with vary good results and liked it in the end. thay made there own mounts to run full on rear bags in the front. NOT the air shocks in the front.
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

option B......
  4. White Gardens

Just found out from a local shop today they will re-arch the springs and add a third leaf for a third of the price of buying a set.

I think I'm going to lean that route. After the new cutting edge on the plow, the A-frame isn't level, so it's something I want to deal with ASAP.

They said that it will give me about 2" of lift. wesport. If I could get 2.5, that would be just about perfect.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have a set of the levelrite air shocks on my 07 Duramax. Money well spent, the ride is unbelievable better than new. They change according to temperature so you should probably budget for the onboard compressor as well. I don't regret the added cost. I find metal fatigue to have a quick memory, so re- springing wouldn't be my first option, but I agree it's the cheapest.
  6. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

spring packs ,front,,caster angle geometry...

the easy,cheaper way that worked for me was was adding just one full lenght stock type used all ready flattened-out leaf to the front spring packs.to make a total of 3 leafs up front.../. did also do a 4 pack of used flatted-out one also,,but the 4 did changle the the caster angle on the axle,,,( in which the steering does not retract by it self,after you naker a turn,,i think tyhe recommended caster angle is ; negative 4 degress,,and zero degrees toe in, and zero degress camber..if im correct on these 73 to 87 chevy/gmc k-series model trucks...if the caster angle is OFF a few degrees,,the quick fix is to cut off a few inches of the front forward end(facing forward)of the longest leaf to get more of a negative caster angle..or the other is to add 1 inch longer spring shackes behind the front axle..whichever,,,Note make you change-out all them well worn spring bushings and get new ones...and new front spring hanger bolts....9/16 inch by 5 inch long grade #8 bolts and lock nuts..ok..have fun.a....ps...after reasembly the drag link at the pitman arm MUST BE adjusted back to re-correct left to right=full turns ,
  7. White Gardens

With my solid front axle, will I have any steering difference?

A definite yes on the bolts and bushings. If I'm going through the task of taking them off, then they'll get replaced.

If the original bushings and bolts don't come out, then I'll be breaking out the hot wrench. Thumbs Up.

8. TechGuy1234

TechGuy1234 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I would go with the 1003 kit.