1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hmmm plow for a ZTR?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Jerreber, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Jerreber

Jerreber Junior Member

Anyone out there ever plowed with a zero turn? I was thinking of getting a quad which I've used before and loved for plowing. I like the idea of using a ZTR for the fact that I can keep one piece of equipment busy year around plus I own the machine = more money in my pocket. I've seen videos on ZTR's plowing snow but they are all from the plow manufacter. It seems hard to believe you get that kind of traction with no chains. Most of the snow I plow for walks is in the 1" - 3" range with a few storms over 4" per year but most of my contracts start at 1". I'm very skeptical on a ZTR plowing. I can't afford a quad right now. I just need to know will a ztr plow beat a snowblower cause that is my only other option. Thanks for the input!

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

you'll need chains imo but it should do fine at small amounts
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

The only ZTR Ive seen with a plow set up is TORO and Grasshopper. TORO even has the cab conversion kit that look pretty sweet but probably pretty pricy. But yeah its nice to keep a piece of equipment in use all year long.
  4. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

YES!!!! I cut the front off a lesco walkbehind last year, i bolted on a 48" plow on it. The thing is amazing! almost unstopable. I do only sidewalks, i don't try to plow grator mounds or anything, just snowfalls. I use regular lwan tires and the thing will plow an unbelievable amount of snow. It is the best machine i have ever used for snowclearing, I used it al last year and will be using it all this year. Ill post a link.
  5. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

6. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

I did also build a ztr with a plow on it: see vids, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L8yv1kkvxU and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5XT8zs4PYg&feature=related
    it was fun but took alot of work. had the same amount of traction too.

Due to the properties a have I did buy a quad this year. I have 2 properties that are massive straight lines of sidewalks, the quad will allow me to plow at a higher speed and go from building to building faster, not to mention less walking. lol.
    I used to burn through a shovel every 3 snowfalls, now a shovel will last a year. Thats how often i shovel. The WB has a ploy cutting edge, it has to be changed out 2 or 3 times a season and it is a bit expensive but woth it.
  7. Jerreber

Jerreber Junior Member

bought a quad

well I got a quad instead. found a good deal on an arctic cat with a plow. I've heard too many people say its hard on the ztr hydros. Plus, now I can tell my wife "I bought it for work not for fun"....yeah right....
  8. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member