1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HLA SnowWing cutting edge wear

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenmtboy, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Question on when to change the cutting edge. I'm assuming it should be changed when it gets down to the mowboard but there is two pieces of plate steel, one on each end that hang below the mowboard. Not sure if they are wear markers or what. Are they meant to wear? Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I would let it run down to the wear edge. It seems if you let them run down to far your trip mechanism is very close to the ground in the rear. Our equipment sits on site so we change ours if we are in doubt it lasting the season. On edit, I don't really remember our wear edge sitting down that low, it looks as though you can wear quite a bit of that off.

3. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

The main edges are reversible, just flip them over,the wing edges look new.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm hoping that was kind of a given. :D You can also buy the exact same edges for 1/2 the price aftermarket.

5. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Dave, what are you calling the wear edge?

Yes flipping the edge is a given, but that edge does not have a lot of hrs on it.

Yes, I checked into replacement cutting edges and I about fell over. I did do some checking for aftermarket and found that I can replace the main edge for about half the cost but not sure about the wings. How long do the wing edges last?

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

if its wearing on back side before cutting edge was worn out then the pitch of plow is wrong Needs be tilt forward more when plowing

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The thing you call the steel plate wear. I wouldn't worry about how far to run it down as you'll know when you get there. Wing edges generally will last the life of both sides of the cutting edge.

8. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks JD and Antlerart. Their is only about 20hrs on that edge, I would hope it would wear longer then that before having to reverse it. I have been paying attention to the pitch to make sure it is not rolled back to far. At this point the only way not to have the wear plates hit is to roll it forward passed where I think it should be.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you set your skid plates a little higher it might help as you really shouldn't have them touching when plowing.

10. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Do you leave your skid plates on or do you remove them? I took a few more pic's of how much lower those wear plates are.This is normally how I try to run the plow, rolled ahead just a bit. Should I roll it ahead even more to keep it from wearing the wear plates?

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

11. Antlerart06

Need to lower your shoes Its laying back to far Then your cutting edge will wear flat
    I dont even own one but from what I see its pitch back to far Think that part on the trip edge is a protector for the trip edge
    In long term I replace the skid shoes with wheels Every time you replace the edge you going have replace the skid shoes be more money going down the drain

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Have you ever ran a wing plow before? If you have operators they tend to have them to far forward then back and that wears the wing edges funny and I've seen guys actually wear into the wings. Personally I'd take at least 1 maybe 2 spacers off the shoes and when your runniing it if you can see the shoe marks tilt it forward a bit. Most guys around here don't run shoes on them at all but I like them to protect the rear of the blade. I have 8 or so of these blades and this is the 9th season for some of them so I have a little knowledge about them.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I can tell by the pic 100% you need to raise your shoes as your blade is tipped forward to much. I also think the wear edge under the blade is to stop the snow trail between the wing edges but I could be wrong. Your blade is a newer style as mine do not have that piece and people have complained about them leaving a small trail.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  14. Antlerart06

O yes Had them since 83 And his plow is pitch back to far if he raise his shoes up it will wear more on the trip edge Needs lower the shoes to pitch the plow forward And adjust the wings if you can
    I never own that brand of plow

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You had wing plows in MO back in 83? Funny wing plows did come out about 30 years ago but they were only in Quebec and most of US still hasn't even heard of them but you had them in 83. I'll take your word for it. You can tell in the last pic of the wing that the blade is leaning a little to far forward but you think it should go more forward? So who's wing plow were you running in 83?

16. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

OK, just so I get this right. You are saying to remove one or two spacers from the bottom of the shoes and that in return will raise the skid shoe and allow me to roll or tip the plow back, is that right? If I do that the wear plates will be in contact with the ground most or all the time. Would you agree that there is a lot of wear left on the cutting edge?

17. Antlerart06

I was building my own You call them wings I called mine Sideboards For trucks and tractors and skidsteers Mine was made for full trip plows

You look at the pic wearing on the trip edge if you raise the shoes what will that do wear more on the trip edge That isnt hard to see
    I see the wing pic Wing needs be adjusted to the plow

Like I said I dont own that brand of plow Im comment on the pics from what I see

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I had pushers back then but not wing plows. Wing plows have hydraulic wings that rotate 180 degrees. The wings edges on the Horst float up and down and if you have them rolled to far forward it can't you a great deal of grief if you ever come in contact with a curb or steep grade.

To the OP yes take 1 spacer out and try it. I think you'll just have to wear down the edges on the bottom of the blade, your cutting edge is still like new from what I can see and you must be running it at the correct angle because your wing edges have worn evenly.

19. Antlerart06

Just look it up plow should be pitch at 35 degrees

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So looking at the last pic posted would you say that's more or less then 35 degrees?