1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HLA Snow Wing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brad3403, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Is anyone using a HLA Snow Wing? Does it work well? Prices?

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Everything you read on here will tell you it will plow as fast as 2-3 trucks depending on conditions. I had one on a tractor for one winter. It was a 9-15 3200 series and with a poor operator it still out plowed a truck.

Price will depend on size, series and how it is mounted. Around 10k to start and up from there.

I just bought a used 10-16 for my Cat.

3. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I believe a skid will out-plow a truck 2-1with even just a large snow bucket. At 10 grand plus I'm not sure how much of a benefit it would be. I really like the idea of the Degelman Speed Blade.

4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I have 3, all 4200 series a 9-15, 10-16 & 12-18 all on Puma CVT's, I have 3 trucks with 1 with an xls, and 2 with 9.5 XV's, they aren't even in the same league as far as plowing large lots. The snow wing is a super efficient plow, and I've had very few issues with them.

2013-01-05 11.50.43.jpg

5. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Have they changed that blade to add a trip mechanism yet?

The only thing I don't really like about the Horst blade is the paint job. Seems to fade fast.

6. slc12345

slc12345 Member
    from CT

We have one on a loader opens up to 18' wide. IT is no where near compares to a pusher, this thing will run circles around pushers plows, buckets, ect. Yes they are a lot of money but will pay for it self back for years to come

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  7. nsmilligan

The blades have always had a bottom trip edge, but there is no trip on the wings. This hasn't been a problem as long as the operator never runs the outside wing fully closed when the blade is angled.
    Horst has improved it's paint process in the last couple of years, they now use a primer under the paint, even after a couple of winters the blades look good.

Bill

8. fendt716

fendt716 Member
    from nw nj

we run 4 of them 3 10-16 1 12-18 all front 3pth mount on fendt tractors models 716-926. held up well but you need the 24 inch ext. or when wing comes back if you hit something it tears up the lugs on the front tires and they are the narrow tires. the other big problem we had is the last one we got had the electric setup on it. the plug is a joke and wiring is a disaster colors do not match any where book shows 3 wires and no color codes unit wiring is 4 wire. this unit going to be change to all hyd. lines to outlets like the other 3 never a problem.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Must be piss poor blade on the pickup or a bad operator. A Snowing is a more productive blade then a Speed blade and then add that it trips and you have a winner.

10. Dakotakid

Dakotakid Junior Member

What size Puma for the 12-19

What size pumas are you running, any duals or rear balast?

11. nsmilligan

We're running 2 130's and a 145, all CVT's, no duals, but running snow tires, rear wheel weights, and blower or spreader on the 3 point hitch.

12. Rockvalley rob

Rockvalley rob Junior Member

Have 12-18 snow wing and love it. Only problem we have is the snow wing cutting edges getting full of snow and ice and then they will not float as they should. Anybody have a solution for this problem??

13. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

I am always having that problem with mine as well, I swing by a coin car wash and spray up in the wings with some warm water and that frees them up for a bit.

14. muff

muff Junior Member

I've got a 12-18 on a wheel loader. It's very productive. And very well built. Thinking about getting a 3200 for my skid steer. That or a Kage.

My only complaint is that the seals went out of the Helac motors that drive the wings way too prematurely I feel. I use mine on my own properties only, probably about 40 hours total in a season. Seals only lasted 4 seasons.

15. thatstherule

thatstherule Junior Member
    from Waukee

If you are looking for an HLA, I have three for sale. 2 - SB3200W914 and 1 - SB4200W1218.