1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HiWay Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Outdoor, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Outdoor

Outdoor Junior Member

We have 2 new stainless steel Hiway spreaders, Model MP. When spreading they both spread heavy on the right side and not real even?? they are no adjustments, can ith be fixed with a different spinner?? we also have 3 swenson spreaders and they work perfect. Thanks

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Outdoor we have 1.8yd. SS MP and it only has 1.5 hours on it and it spreads fine as far as eveness is concerned. Have you made sure everything is lined up correctly with the spinner? I say that since we had a warren sander that threw to one side and it turned out the spinner itself was slightly out of alignment, but it was hard to tell just by looking at up close. Just something to check?

3. Outdoor

Outdoor Junior Member

thanks JD Plower,

I will look at the spinners to see if we can move them, and run some test.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Are there any flaps that can be adjusted?

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Most V boxes have adjustable flaps INSIDE the chute as well as on the outside. The flaps on the inside control how much material hits each side of the spinner.

~Chuck

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

That's interesting, Chuck, I've never seen it. (Or perhaps never looked for it)

If this is your case outdoor, then you need to adjust the flow so the material hits the spinner as close to center as possible. This will give you an even pattern. If your spinner rotates clockwise, (most do) adjusting the material to front of center will give a mostly right pattern, behind the spinner a mostly left.

7. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Pelican, I know both Western and Air Flo V boxes have the internal flaps. IMO it is mainly so you can drive in the curbside lane, and spread most of your material to the left of the truck if you do roads.

~Chuck

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I don't think my Torwell had them, it only had external flaps at the spinner to deflect the material after the fact. Adjusting the materials position on the spinner is a much better way to do it, you get a more even spread.

9. Chuck Smith

from NJ

After viewing the brochure here:

http://www.highwayequipment.com/PDF/MPbrochure.pdf

It is clear that there are no internal flaps on this spreader. :(

Very short chute too, IMO.

I'd give Hi Way a call about the uneven spreading and see what they say.

~Chuck

10. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

If you look at the picture Chuck Smith posted about the MP model, it has adjustments. I bought one this year, and it works great.

If you don't have the deflectors, you got shorted.

If the dealer you bought your spreader from can't assist you, Call HiWay their tech support people are very friendly and work to assist you fast.

BTW: Which one did you get?

I got the Honda 11hp with mine.

Rick

11. Outdoor

Outdoor Junior Member

hey guys!

thanks for the replys, the model mp does not have internal deflectors. (the swensons we run do) the external deflectors to nothing to control the amount of product falling off the spinner.
    I believe I will call Highway

yes Rooster both of our MPs are Hondas

12. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

On my HiWay, there is a gate that you can raise or lower to help regulate the flow of material.

Rick

13. Outdoor

Outdoor Junior Member

Rooster,

Yes, we use that the meter the amount of product coming ot of hopper, for different applications or unloading. But it doesn't control where your product hit the spinner.

You say on your mp you have a even pattern?

14. Outdoor

Outdoor Junior Member

just got off phone with Hiway, they were very helpfull. They said they have had a few problems with that. It can be fixed with some spacers. the spacers allow the spinner to be closer to the hopper, resulting more product will fall in center of spinner. They are sending me spacers today.

15. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow Senior Member

The regular Model P and Super P have internal baffle to adjust the spread pattern. The MP does not.

16. BIGCUBES427

BIGCUBES427 Junior Member

OUTDOOR, UNBOLT THE THE SPINNER SHAFT BEARINGS, THEN GO TO YOUR HI-WAY DEALER AND GET HIWAY PART NUMBER 29919. YOU'LL NEED FOUR OF THESE, ONE FOR EA BOLT. PUT THE ROLLER BETWEEN THE BEARING AND THE SPINNER HOUSING. THI WIL PUT THE SPINNER SHFT IN A MORE DIRECT PATH OF THE DROPPING MATERIAL. THIS SHOULD END YOUR HEAVY DROP TO THE RIGHT. LET ME KNOW. BIGCUBES427

17. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

BC427 where in MA. are from? You wouldn't happen to work a JC Madigan would you? BTW Welcome to plowsite :waving: