1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hitch Spreader Advice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mow Right, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Mow Right

Mow Right Junior Member

After searching through 10 pages or so of threads I didn't really find the information I was wanting.

I would like to know what is the best tailgate spreader. I know there is probably a lot of debate but just post whatever you think is best, and why. I am looking at a SnowDogg TGS06, Western 1000, or maybe a Boss. I don't know anything about these salt spreaders, previously I have subbed out salt. I heard the Western 1000 had some problems with wobbling real bad, but maybe the guy just had it strapped wrong.

I will be putting down around 4000-6000lbs per event so I need something of decent size. I also probably don't want a swing away spreader because I don't really want to drill holes into my bumper.

I will be using my 2006 F250. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Josh

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I use a Snoex micro pro hitch one. Just a toggle switch for on off.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

A tailgate spreader for 4000-6000lbs??? :dizzy:

4. Mow Right

Mow Right Junior Member

Thanks for your input. Are you saying that there is no control though for width?

I am applying 4000-6000lbs per event... I don't expect to fit this all in the spreader. Figured I could put a pallet of salt in my F250 and another pallet in my other truck. Am I missing something?

5. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

V box would be easier is what he's implying, haul all that in 2 loads, plus product is cheaper buying in bulk. I have a tailgate we use for spotting, but i could'nt fathom slicing and dicing that many bags of material...holy crap.:dizzy:

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you should consider bulk. The cost savings are huge. And no stinking bags to deal with.

7. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

just take a 5000lb average using 80lb bags, that's 63 bags of product being lifted up, cut, dumped, and then do it all over again....so aside from the serious waste of time going through the motions, a person is going to have to a dumpster near by for all the bags LOL!!

I think if getting a V box is out of the question, subbing it out is'nt a bad option...

8. Mow Right

Mow Right Junior Member

When I subbed it out I would go out sometimes and stand in the truck slicing & pouring while the guy drove around. I didn't think it was that bad, but I've never used a vbox.

I know it is cheaper to buy bulk, but I don't have anyway to load the salt. Also I really don't have a place to store bulk. It is much easier to store pallets in my shop.

I run a fertilizing business so I'm used to handling pallets and pallets of bagged products.

My sub was charging me $.42 per lb so I got tired of that crap when I can buy the product at $3.90 per bag (.078 per lb).

I will definitely have to look at running a vbox on you guy's recommendation though. One of my properties takes 3200lbs of salt by itself, so if I lost that contract next year then I didn't want to be stuck with an expensive/bulky spreader. Another reason I was looking at a hitch spreader is because I'm not really planning on growing... I will be out of the snow business within 2 years probably.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  9. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

If you have a history using bagged products, then i can see how this really is'nt scareing you LOL!! I honestly have'nt looked into the prices of the electric V boxes since i bought mine 4 years ago, but i walked out their door with everything in my truck bed for my salt dogg for $2900 and change. A freind of mine just priced a new snow ex tail gate spreader and they wanted $1575....that to me seems like an awful lotta change for a tail gate spreader. If your planning on having a fella in the bed cutting/pouring, save your money on the large hoppers and just get a basic buyers unit. I use my V for 90% of my spreading, and i do like the tail gate spreader for the cold calls we get for salt since i know exactly how many bags we go through...bulk it's near impossible to keep track of and you tend to over apply with them.

I picked up the Buyers SUV spreader that was 1 season old and looked like brand new for $200, we just got everything out the other day and she still works and looks like new and i made a killing with it. Granted it can only hold 320lbs at a time, but like i said, it's a spot spreader, if we have a large lot i just use the V since it's easier to have 3400lbs of salt on my back at the ready and hitting a button since i dont have anybody with me to slice and dice. If salt doggs tail gate unit is as good as their electric v box, i would buy one of those in a heart beat, i have zero complaint with mine.

10. Mow Right

Mow Right Junior Member

A lot of my concern with using a box spreader was that I would not know how much I used. I charge most properties by the pound, although I'm switching over to charging flat per application. I don't have anyway to move bulk salt so a box wouldn't really save me any money.

And yeah, I'm not scared of 80 bags or w/e. Honestly it sounds like nothing to me, I hand load 35 bags of fertilizer into my truck what feels like everyday. So to sit a pallet in the bed and dump them in a hopper sounds like cake. (especially since I will probably have the other guy on the property do it)

On my big property I figured I would have somebody slice and pour but I might still like a decent size though because I will also be spreading some banks and smaller properties by myself, and I would like to not get out of the truck very often if possible.

What do guys think of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUYERS-SALT-DOG...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a54f78736

11. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

I dont have the area for storage for bulk salt, so i only use bag, put down about 3-4 pallets per event. I use Snow-ex Mini Pro 575, they are nice because you dont have to drill holes in your truck like some larger tailgate models. You can only hold about 5-6 bags in them at a time, but it works for us. JMO

12. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

The sub I plow for has a Boss spreader that I plan to pick up this season, I like that its kinda like Boss smart hitch, I guess you back up to it like a boss plow and it hooks itself up with a switch?

13. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

14. overtime

overtime Senior Member

Sorry to hijack
    are those salt dog spreaders good? i have only 2 lots that i will be salting with something but wanna get bigger someday. i use 400 on the one and maybe 400 on the other.