1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hitch salter?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fga, Dec 15, 2004.

1. fga

fga Member

i just bought a truck. it has a brand new meyers e47, and the guy has given me with the truck (which) i didn't know when i bought it.. 1 of those spreaders that slide into the hitch. the salter and the plow system were both purchased new this past january.
    I only do a few lots, and their not that big, maybe 10 car lot each.
    is the salter really worth having? I usaully just fillit some 5 gallon pails from my salt stock, and throw it with a scoop... take about 5 minutes, and i know the place is covered and i can leave confident. How effective could a salter be on a small lot? and are they as thorough covering the lot?

i don't remember the model, i haven't picked it up yet (or the plow from inside the storage garage) but i know he spent about 5-600 on it. i think it spreads from 3 - 30 feet. any opinions?

i just might sell it.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  2. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hey Adam,
    You finally made it over huh? If you sell it I may be interested. Shipping could be a hurdle though. When you get a chance to pick it up take a pic of it for me (if you get a chance, don't go out of your way). Thanks Adam.

3. fga

fga Member

what's up buddy... i'm making a whole new buddy list here! all over again. :dizzy:
    shipping would be a killer! I'll take pics anyway, cuz i like to have pictures of what "I once had". :) about 12 trucks i think are in my book.
    what do you thinkof the useful of it on smaller lots though? you have some big ones don't you... the ground round job?
  4. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Adam, im down in philly and looking for a Hitch spreader too.. If my man up North keels over when he hears the shipping costs, give me a shout and let me know what your asking for it.

PS, i dont think a 10 car lot would require a salter, wouldn't really be worth it to me..

Thanks Adam

5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I've got a couple bigger props and the rest are fairly small or medium sized, but I ended up not taking the Ground Round. Actually turned it down... :cry:. I was just not sure about the job, they wanted ALL the snow pushed to the west of the building and since this was my first year back into plowing I was pretty nervous about it. I may consider it next year...or maybe not. A small salter would be nice for my accounts. I need to look into one. Surprisingly not a lot of guys around here have them, I've only run into one guy that was dropping salt so far. Anyway, good luck with that new truck!

6. fga

fga Member

i've turned down alot in the past. I'm not really looking for a huge snow business, just some winter work and money. you can make a nice little bundle with just doing a few lots, 3 or 4. and the residential accounts also. This year i just may do more residential in my area. with the plow i can do driveways really quick, make like 50 - 60 bucks for 5 minutes! driveways here are about 20 feet long. add in some walks.. another 30 feet with the blower.
    but this year it will strictly be pick and choose for me. if they say i'm too high, or seem like a PITA, i'm out of there.
    i'm picking up the spreader and plow today, wanna be ready if we actually get anything this weekend.. i'll believe it when i see it.

i'll take pics today. I'll probably atleast try 1 storm with it to see if its worth it or not, or would be better and more profitable for someone else. I hate having equipment sit in my garage that can't be used.