1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hitch salter removal ??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by scottL, Oct 23, 2008.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Just picked up a new 2500 salter. So, has anyone come up with a nifty way for a single person to be able to install/remove this bugger?

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Eat your wheatys lol

I can take mine off by my self and have put them on with out help, but you know when you do it.

I have also used the skidloader to do it by my self

3. scottL

Yeah....Creatine soaked wheaties. I can manage it but, I don't want to muscle it. I know at some point if there isn't a cool way I will end up teaching it some manors :gunsfiring:

4. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

I used to use the loader to mount my spreader too, but that got to be a pain and if i got caught without the spreader on late at night or early morning, the neighbors wouldn't appreciate hearing the loader...lol I know I don't have the same spreader you do, (swing away 2000) but i bought a double snatch block at tractor supply for like 60 - 80 bucks i believe. Hooked it up to the rafters in my garage....then off the hook of the snatch block rope, i made four ropes to different parts of the frame of the spreader to keep it level while in the air. If i back up straight enough, i can mount the spreader from the bed of the truck in about 5 mins. I don't see why the same type of idea wouldn't work for a hitch mount??? I know it seems a little pricey for the snatch block, but it's a lot easier when you don't have anyone to help lift.wesport

5. scottL

Hey thanks! I should have posted a follow up.... I did basically as you describe. I mounted a heavy chain through the a structural beam in the garage then hooked a come-along and four hoops around the salter. It's not fast lowering but, raising and mounting in just a few minutes. Should be good for a fully loaded hopper too.

Next season I want to work on a swing away that doesn't mount onto the bumper - someone else on the plowsite did it - very cool.

6. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

no wonder your back hurts!

7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

LOL, thanks Mike :D