1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hitch Receiver Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bluerage94, Feb 15, 2007.

1. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Has anyone used one of these? I have seen a couple of tailgate and hitch spreaders and was thinking of putting one on one of my trucks, I heard they will hold anywhere from 300-900 lbs.
    I think almost all of the manufacturers make one, Buyers,Boss,Snoway etc....

I would appreciate any advise...... Thanks
  2. mickman

mickman Senior Member

I have 2 Buyers, but I've really liked my Buyers low profile.
  3. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I've been calling around, getting prices on the boss, fisher, western and they all seem very expensive $1000 plus... I see that northern tool has buyers for $650. I dont think it would be as good but if it works i could replace it every few years for a fraction of the cost.

Just not sure which way to go since western makes a great product.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

buy the quality product up front....support your local dealer and he'll support you in time of need.
  5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

We had a western 1000 it was a great spreader but wehn we went to replace it with a new one we we shocked to see how much it went up in price. We ended up with a snow ex. I am running a small buyers on my truck and it works great. It was about 1/3 the price of our new snow ex. I like having a small spreader so I can easily remove it while plowing in my condos ( tight working conditions ) The buyers suv pro is only around 70 lbs. It put 350lbs. of salt in it and it spreads as good as any spreader we have had. I got mine from J thomas equpment supply. They have the best price cheaper than ebay. Their web site is ( J-Thomas.com ) Mine was less than $ 600 delivered. No problems in two years. Make sure you are looking at the pro version the regular one is single speed and won't throw nearly as far. The snow ex and western spreaders are really nice but you cannot beat a buyers for price and ease of getting parts.
  6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I am very happy with my Snowex 575 that I got used for $600......
  7. mickman

mickman Senior Member

go to Angelos supply online. I got my Buyers low profile for $750 bones. My dealer wants twice that.
  8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I have the Western Pro Flo tailgate spreader. It works well with straight salt, salt sand mix on the other hand :realmad: it clumps up alot and you have to get out with a shovel or a piece of pipe and try to break it up. It also seems to harden up toward the top.
    I used it about 4-5 times this year, and the last time I used it, I took it to the self serve car wash, and cleaned it out real good. and i took it home and wiped it down with car wax(Turtle wax...... the one you can use on plastic) really good like a half a can. And i kept it covered and that seems to work better. The Pro Flo is shaped almost like a triangle(wide on top narrow on bottom) once the sand mix falls in to the bottom narrow part, it works well, the problem was the harding on to you still have to get out and try to break it up but the wax helped, real slippery.. Hope that helps.
    Also, don't drive from lot to lot with sand in the spreader it gets packed down with the bumps in the road and the moisture in the sand and it becomes like concrete.. Someone from here told me that, and they were right.... :salute:
  9. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Oh ya I almost forgot...... I paid $650 used on EBAY. I cost over $1,700 new
  10. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

I second that!! I too bought a Buyers LowProfile Tailgate Spreader and the optional receiver hitch mount, Picked it up and installed it myself in about 2 hours.
    I plowed last year, and by early Jan 07 thought I was never going to see any of my Residential.
    But I got a contract to do a small shopping plaza, they required salt. So I bit the bullet and paid $970 out the door for my Buyers unit + extra's. It holds up to 800lbs of bagged product. Boy let me tell you , I make way more money doing salt then just plowing!!!payup I paid off the spreader in the first 30 days of work :nod:

If it's just doing flurries out and no real snow is piling up,, you cant plow,,,BUT YOU CAN SALT!!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! payup
  11. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I've had experience w/ a Meyers, Buyers(a Meyers copy), and now a Snow-Ex. The Buyers & Meyers are the best although the Snoe-Ex actually holds #100 more salt.
    I've had issues w/ motors siezing up from season to seasno on the Meyers & Buyers but, also had problem w/ the electronic controller on the Sow-Ex. The digital controller loses its speed setting when you stop it after making a pass, so, you turn it on to start your pass and have to "dial up" the speed again each time. What a POS! I solved that by sticking a Buyers controller on the Snow-Ex salter.
    They Meyers & Buyers hold #600 and the Snow-Ex 1075 pivot-pro holds #700. The box is good, the digital controller is junk!
  12. ildiesel86

ildiesel86 Junior Member

I bought a western 1000 low pro. in december for $1500. the only think i dont like is that its not good for spreading bult rock salt. think about that when you buy one. other then that there have been no complants or anything. if your customer is fine with paying the higher salt price then youll be fine. i charge my customer $200 to put down 600 pounds of salt. sometimes more salt if im just salting the lot.
  13. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

I just purchased a new western 1000 low profile for $1,550.00. I love it and it does an excellent job. In the past 3 weeks I have made almost $4,000 with the spreader and the plow. Mine will hold 10, 50 pound bags, for a total of 500 pounds..It sure beats the manual way.payup
  14. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

I just bought a speed caster, I paid 1400.00 installed. I love it. I can load 15-16 bags of salt at a time. I appreciate that when it's cold and the sleet and snow is flying. Beats the heck out of the Buyer unit that I had for a whole three months before it craped out, and I replaced two control boxes. It only held six bags, what a pain.
  15. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

do you have a speedcaster one or two??
  16. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

speedcaster one. #1 rock salt, no sand.
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

SNOWAY 6 cubic ft w/on off control NEW $900.00 plus freight, 2 left
    SNOWAY 9 Cubic ft w/on/off contol NEW $1050.00 plus freight, 2 left

PM me or call 610-268-0007 8-5 mon-fri 8-12 Sat