1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hitch question on Western Proflo 2

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by eng50, Oct 11, 2004.

1. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

There are no good pics I can find of the Western pro flo 2 or the Fisher Speedcaster 2 Hitch mounts. I have read that they mount to a new reciever that you need to buy. I need to tow a trailer with a tractor for other areas of my contracts.

My questions:

1 Can you still tow a trailer with the spreader mounted?
    2 How adjustable is the width of spread on these units?
    3 Are there adjustable deflectors or is it only speed controlled?

Thanks in advance..

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You need to replace the trailer hitch with westerns hitch/receivers. the hitch/receivers come in 3 pieces and are adjustable to your truck, however you need to buy a vehicle specific mount kit for the hitch.

1-Towing a trailer with the spreader on the truck is pretty much out unless you mount the spreader at a really high setting or maybe with a little custom fab work.

2-The width of the recievers for the spreader are not adjustable, the vehicle specific kits are designed so that spacing comes out the same regards of the vehicle.

3-The spreader shoot has adjustable deflectors along with a variable speed controller along with a blast option if i remember right.

Hope this helps,

3. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Thank you for the reply!

I downloaded the pdf owners manual and it isnt much help...
    I understand the hitch exchange and using thier receiver...
    I guess what I need to know is if I can extend the 2" hitch tube that isnt used for mounting the spreader to reach the trailer tounge. I probably am not explaining this correctly!

Does the spreader block the receiver?
    Can the spreader be mounted slightly higher if so, will it be useable?

The best option would be to carry the spreader in the bed and have a second person to help mount the spreader when I got to the site, but I can't guarantee that so I want to cover the worst case senario..

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Look in the pictures forum under Boast 2003 F250. I have a picture of my trailer hitch that my guys made for me. I don't know what you are trying to pull, this only pulls my ATV trailer. Hope this helps! pumpkin: BOAST
  5. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

I used the search and couldn't find it...any way you can post a link, if you know which one it is? Thank you!
  6. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I don't know how to post the link but I had a typo it is supposed to be Boast 2003 F-250 in the Pictures Forum. It is up on the first page.
  7. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Found it! Thanks!
    You have the pro flo 1 series, I hope the proflo 2 can be modified like that, you or whoever you had do the work did a nice job! Thanks again..

8. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

eng50 -

The salter in Boast 2003 F-250 pictures appears to be the Western 1000 series salter not a PRO-FLO series. The 2000 series would be a bit taller than the 1000 series. As for the PRO-FLO series, there isn't a hitch mount that uses the 2" receiver receptacle. The only way to get a receiver mounted PRO-FLO is by using the Western hitch assembly just like Crash935 stated in his post. The Western web site has a partial picture of how the PRO-FLO mounts to the outboard side of their hitch. http://www.westernplows.com/img/products/proflo/l_hitch.jpg

Just my .02¢
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  9. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

These speaders dont actually mount "in" the hitch. I have a speedcaster 2. It mounts to the outside of the recevier tube.The spreader rack has two mounts, that look like butter knives.They slide into slots in the frame/hitch..you should still be able to hook up a trailer.just adjust the spreader high enough when assembling the frame.
  10. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Thank you, thats exactly what I was looking for!