1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hitch-n-run

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by DodgeRam36, Jan 7, 2011.

1. DodgeRam36

DodgeRam36 Junior Member

hello everyone,
    would like to know if anyone out there could give me some advice or pointers on how to fix my problem. i have a snow-pro 3000 7 1/2 foot steel snow plow. i was under the impression upon buying this plow that is easy to hook up(which it is even with this little "problem" just think it could be easier if im not doing it right) all you have to do is drive in and the latch arms automatically grab to the mount, but no matter what i do they dont move upon driving up to the plow arms. also the lock pins are very hard to move once i manually move the latch arms myself. i hope this makes sense and i also thank you for any pointers in advance

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Are you able to post some pics up of where you are having the problem? When you drive into it, the forks guide it in, your levers should be forward towards the plow. Then go as far forward as you can and when you do the levers will automatically come up. Then you just lock them in and use the jack switch to raise your stand or you can just use your joystick in your cab and raise the plow and the stand raises automatically. (after you connect the plugs of course). Hope this helps. Im guessing you are not driving up close enough. Pics will help.

3. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

sounds to me like things are just stiff? mine was that way at first,but after a year of use its fine,i can generaly latch mine the first time when i pull into it now. great plow IMHO

4. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

the latch ares don't click right in to place. i can get mine on 1st time just about every time.
    but the lever are there for a reason. just pull 'em toward your truck just that last little bit and the pins should click in to place. try cleaning the gunk and crap out and lubing it up good that will help the pins go in to place.

5. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

I had problems getting mine on and off when I first got it as well. Difficult time getting everything lined up and when I did the arms did not raise up before I started pushing the plow forward. With limited space that just didn't work. I solved it by purchasing snowmoblie dollies and when I take the plow off it rests on these now. I can wheel the plow around where ever I need it. Still takes some pushing on the arms and lock pins at the same time to get them to lock but it is MUCH easier.

JMT's hope it helps !!

6. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

The first thing to do is get a can of PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating oil and soak heck out of all all moving Hitch-n-run parts. This means the pins your levers swing on, as well as your locking pins. Do this off the truck so you can soak them and move them back and forth 'til they free up.

The levers should move freely when properly lubed. The locking pins should be lubed where the slide through the hole as well as where they fold.

Once everything is lubed and your levers are swung forward (toward the plow), it's time to look at your alignment. There are two things to look for here, height, and side to side positioning. If the plow forks are too high or too low, they won't go into the truck side mounts. There is a bit of leeway there but you have to be close enough that they match up.

When lining up side to side I line up the edge of the plow light with a spot on my hood. That usually works.
    Hope that helps.

7. dirtymax

dirtymax Junior Member
    from Ontario

When you unhook from the plow, ALWAYS manually push down on the up cylinder to give some slack in the chain, not alot, just a bit. Makes life much simpler when trying to rehook!

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

9. dirtymax

dirtymax Junior Member
    from Ontario

10. South Seneca

Whew, it would help if they weren't all smoked up when they decided to go play with the new snow plow!

I suppose they couldn't find anyone to read the operators manual to them.

11. MadLion90

MadLion90 Member

Just bought a truck this winter with the 3000 on it. Had some issues getting it on as well but here is what works for me. First off i need to take it in to get the height adjusted as the last owner bought bigger sized tires which raised the truck side but never adjusted the plow. Therefore, to get it to sit at the height i need, I put a brick under the blade and jack when taking it off. That way the plow sits 3" off the ground and at the height of the truck.
    2nd thing is that my driver's side is always the hardest to get to latch. Noticed that on my setup the harness gets stuck between the bumper and the latch handle which keeps it from going far enough to lock. Fixed this by just removing from prtector boots and hanging the ends over the lights and out of the way while driving into the plow. Plus the lock on that side was dirty with sand and salt, so i cleaned it with brake cleaner and relubed it. Much easier to push the lock latch in and turn it.
    Don't know if this helps but in my situation it did. Can't wait to get the height on the plow frame fixed though. And there is a way to check which height hole it should be on. Its in the manual, thats how i noticed mine was off. 100x's better to get on and off than my 2000:)

12. DodgeRam36

DodgeRam36 Junior Member

thanks for the advise guys. since the plow is brand new and we have had a hell of a winter in rhode island its been on and off my truck alot so far. it broke its self in and goes on much better then before. Also i cleaned and re-lubed the latches and such and works like a charm....thanks again

13. MadLion90

MadLion90 Member

hey dodge just noticed your in RI. Don't see many people on here from RI. How do you like this snow this year? Been plowing for 7 years now and i think i've plowed more snow so far this year than the last 6 payup What areas do you work?

14. DodgeRam36

DodgeRam36 Junior Member

Madlion90, A lot more snow then i think we all thought we were going to get. Started off slow but going strong. Really cant complain because the money is great. Like many, just running out of pushing room, lol. I mainly work in Smithfield, but have a few in Johnston and North Providence. How about yourself?

15. MadLion90

MadLion90 Member

Yep and they are saying up to another ft this week. Yeah more snow means more money, and perfect timing seeing I just upgraded truck and plow size for this season. Thought it was gonna be a wash out since i bought new equipment. I have accounts in Warwick, Cranston, East Side of Providence, and Seekonk. But I also sub out to a friend on bigger storms. His accounts strech up to cumberland, Pawtucket, N. Providence, and one big one in Slatersville (near Woonsocket). So been extra busy this season. Putting in 30+ hrs each storm. If you ever need a hand on anything shoot me a PM.

16. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

How do you spell DORK? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

17. South Seneca

I'll bet that Explorer makes a great driveway machine!
    When I was young I used to plow with and old Jeep. The short wheel base worked great plowing around obstacles.

18. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

Yes it does work well. It's a 2 door sport too so that makes it a bit smaller still. Explorers are not the strongest rigs around so one has to be gentle with it.