1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hitch mounted spreader's

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ACA L&L, Nov 30, 2010.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

We put down bagged ice melt only, lescos ice melter I & II, sno-plow, hot pink. Its that type of material, no sand, no bulk, no flake, no mix. Last year we put down over 20+ pallets with lescos walk behind spreaders, we tried the buyers tailgate unit but the material just flowed uncontrollably even when unit was off, dealer finally admitted he sold us wrong unit and took it back . I understand we need a unit that has a flow gate assembly, snow ex 575 and 1075 fall into these categories, but we want some more options. not limited to a hitch mount but we need 2 of whatever we decide on so i think hitch mount is what we want. we are putting down anywhere from 3-25 bags per location. Meyers has a new one called the spreader mate (see link) says it does seed, fert, sand, salt, and holds like 800lbs, if it does all that it surely does ice melt? we have a budget but want a spreader that holds a lot and doesnt need a flow gate.......anyone shed some light on our small dilemma....thank you.
    http://www.meyerproducts.com/spreaders/meyermate.aspx

http://www.fisherplows.com/fe/showroom/low-profile

oh and what does this mean: Adjustable feed gate with positive material flow shut-off, does that mean you have a cable to shut the flow off or is it shut off with controller? positive material flow shut off.............i really dont wanna make another 2000$ mistake, it was hard enuff returning the last one.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Have you looked into Boss spreaders, they make a good unit.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

20+ pallets ?

I know your post was about a good salt spreader, but why not go with bulk and use a V-box or something? You would make double the profit on salt.

4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

We are in a unique area, no bulk salt available, and the walk behind spreaders worked great until we tripled our load, the 20 pallets was from Nov-March. Sounds crazy but we did it. We tried to get a hitch mounted spreader(s) but with no dealer support here other than a truck up-fitter outfit that wanted $7000 bucks for a meyer 8ft plow that we got installed in Colorado (5hours away) for $4100. We basically have to research what we think will work, order it, and pray that it does what its supposed to do. We want to get 2 and a we dont have $10 grand for 2 v box's. we do however have enuff for 2 nice tailgate spreaders. we only use the bagged ice melt, its similar to rock salt, thats what the contracts call for. We think the meyer Spreader mates will work for us but we were hoping that someone out there could shed some light on weather or not they will hold material in the hopper from job to job without it flowing at will. Im ready to pull the trigger I just dont want to make another mistake and was hoping that someone out there has some info on what tailgate spreader works for them with bagged ice melt.

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the Snowex 575, Its cheap, reliable, and you dont have to run around to the back of your truck to shut the feed gate. Like with Buyers/Salt Dogg.

6. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I run a fisher 2 stage speed caster tail gate spreader. its essentially a mini vbox... used ones can be had cheap. For straight salt i would opt for a 2 stage, but that would depend on your temps I suppose. I always thought the southwest was warmer? how far south west are you?

7. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Albuquerque NM.............base of mountain range, 3.5 hours from colorado......1 from durango. Very unique weather here, temps were single digits to mid teens this past week, flurries with 1" on Turkey day! Had so many ice melt events last year thought we were gonna have to drive to colorado for salt at one point, Lesco stepped up and brought in a truck. AnywayI think the new meyer spreader mate will hold the material, talked to rep. on phone. I like the 575 alot but for the money the meyer seems like a good deal.

8. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

It says the flow gate assembly has a manual knob/grip that you pull too open and shut the flow off/on. do you just mount this to the bed somewhere or is cable long enuff to reach cab?

9. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

I really like the fisher 2 stage, question which mount did you opt for? the under tailgate, or bed mount. and is the bed mount a tailgate mount or is it actually mounted in the bed somehow. 1200 lbs is alot off the tailgate but dodnt plan on keeping it in there for long periods. This thing is what i was looking for, complete control with the ice melt, its pricy already, loosing 1/3 each app is scary .........good looking out, i guess i didnt really see that set up.

Oh and im sure your busy but maybe a quick pic of the mount you have, if not no worries. ill try and find one somewhere

10. captshawn

captshawn Senior Member

I have been running the Western Pro Flo 2 for about 11 years now. Been a great spreader so far. We put about 20 pallets a season through it.

11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

The Buyers models that I have seen have just a piece of metal, like a metal plate that you pull to open, and push it to close its right at the neck where the hopper meets the impeller.