1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hitch mounted spreader opinions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gwhunter, Dec 9, 2010.

1. gwhunter

gwhunter Junior Member

I'm trying to get a new hitchmounted spreader for work. We've bought the cheapest buyers unit three times and they just don't seem to last.I'm looking at a fisher 1000 unit. It's going on a rack body gmc 3500. We hand load bagged salt but we often need to remove the spreader to load the truck. So I want a quality unit not a throw away. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

2. gwhunter

gwhunter Junior Member

Don't everybody yell at once. Seriously I'm looking to pull the trigger this week. I'd love to hear from owners. We're just going to be spreading bagged salt so I'm thinking a vibrator is unneccesery?

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Not sure if the Fisher 1000 is any thing like the Western 1000 but to me that is the best tailgate spreader out there. I have used a Western 1000 for over 6 years now with no problems at all with the unit itself.
    Looking @ their website it shows the Fisher to be the same as the Western only yellow and not red.

I keep it clean and grease the fittings after every use and it has seemed to last. The only problem I had was if the bagged stuff some how got moist or was to fine of a material. Either one would cause it to bridge or tunnel in the center. To solve that most would use a small vibrator. I just went over a curb to knock it back down.

Whatever you decide make sure you get a variable speed controller as just the on/off switch runs it at to fast of a speed. To load salt in the back you will need/want the swing mount and not the hitch mount.
  4. gwhunter

gwhunter Junior Member

Good to hear the positive feedback, I'm not sure what you meant on the mount type. I really need to have it hitch mounted because we use the bed in the winter. Is there a hitch mount that swings away? I'm figuring on only filling it halfway with material. I hear you on the vairiable model. We'd waste alot of material if we wnet with the on/off model(I think).
    Anyone else have any negatives about this unit?

5. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

snow ex 1075. Thats what i have been running for the last few years. they make a swing mount for it as well.
    I have heard great things about the western models but i have never used one. I have always used snowex with no problems at all.