1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hitch mount

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Detroitdan, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

how good are these cheap hitch mount spreaders? I was thinking of filling the bed with bagged salt for weight, then after plowing fill the hopper a few bags at a time as needed. I'm probably only going to be doing driveways, how long should a hopperfull last? Or I should say, how long does it take to empty it? I never offered salting or sanding before, even though some people asked for it. How much do you charge for salting a driveway? I wouldnt include the salting, but if it were provided on an as needed basis, would you charge the same as plowing, or less? I thought that maybe for a $25 driveway, if it got icy I would come back and salt for an additional $20. Is this reasonable? What about damage to lawns or bushes? I dont want to get a call in the spring because my salt killed all their grass.
  2. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

if your only doing driveways then dont spend the money and get the hitch mount spreader... just get a push spreader. You will have better control of where the salt is going and wont damage the turf or plants as easy. Plus you save yourself a few hundred dollars.
  3. Olderthandirt

Olderthandirt Member

Who want to get out in the cold when you can turn a knob, + if you start doing that on all the drives its gonna eat up a lot of time

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I've often thought about using my little push broadcast spreader with 10 lb bags of salt, but I think it would be very time consuming. And I don't like to get out of the truck. I won't get out to shovel either. I was actually very surprised to read how many people here include that.