1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hitch Mount Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brad3403, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Opinions please on which ones are good and which to stay away from. Lookin for about 300 to 400 pound capacity.

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Tossing a vote in for a SnowEx 575, holds 350lbs, very reliable and easy to put on and off.

3. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I believe mine is on the lower end of that scale, but I have a Fisher Speed caster 2 stage. The only times it has ever given me trouble is when I tossed sand in it that had alot of frost in it. I picked mine up used for 250.00 now that cant be beat. variable speed controller etc. Hats off to the gentleman I bought it from, he did his research AFTER I was on my way to pick it up and realized it wasn't a piece of junk and still stuck by his word.

4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Could not agree more! IMO, the best "mini" spreader on the market.wesport

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Airflo mini MSS. That one's the best.

6. 05 superduty

05 superduty Member
    from NJ

Before my gen.2 tornado i had a western low pro 2000 swingaway which is a great unit. Only thing is i think they replaced it with the 2500 now but im sure its just an upgraded model. Mine was not the reciever mount but it has both mounting options. The good thing about the swingaway is you can still access the tailgate for loading or unloading snowblower, bags of salt, etc.

7. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

What do they usually sell for???

8. wizardsr

Yeah, but only if you have deep pockets... For bagged salt, all you really need is a simple single stage unit with an appropriately sized hopper for your needs.

To the best of my recollection, $1200-$1400. Pretty sure the one we picked up last year was $1230-something, and the older one I think I paid closer to $1400 6 or 7 years ago. Been a good little unit.

9. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Ive got a western 1000 on a truck and it works great great! Never had trouble, takes alot of abuse.

10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

keeping in mind that we don't spread a lot of salt in alberta, brad3403 is probably looking for a spread that is sand friendly

11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

was looking at the buyers forum, the new tgs07 looks like it has promise, actually it looks damn impressive

12. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

tailgate spreaders

I have the larger Magnum. I bought it when it was an off brand and it had run great for 4 years. I think Buyer's bought them, but it is still available. About $1800.

I was given a free Lesco Micro Spreader about 5 years ago when I bought 10 pallets of ice melt from them. I think they were trying to get them out of inventory. I finally hooked it up lat year thinking "what's it hurt." It ran about 800 bags last season with no problems. We wired in an on/off switch. Spreads at about 1/2 the rate that the Magnum, though.

13. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

How are the Buyers? they seem to sell cheaper than the rest but are they actually bad? I want one but for the salting i do the bag and shovel flinging system seem to work ok lol. I know i could advertise for more salting but really cant see 2k and then tell everyone i got it and not use it much?

14. wizardsr

Once you buy a spreader and advertise ice control, it will take off faster than you think. 2k is a cheap investment for a service with such a high profit.

15. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

I have a Western Pro Flo and a Snowex 1075 and like the Western alot better....