1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hitch mount spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nelson4047, Nov 4, 2010.

1. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

hi guys im lookin to buy a small hitch mount spreader, which ones are dependable & inexpensive? is buyers gonna give me problems, or go with a name brand like western?
  2. JLaw300

JLaw300 Junior Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I can't tell you about dependable as of yet..but I think that will have a lot to do with what material you are spreading and if it's dry or damp. But I can tell you about inexpensive.

Just bought the tgs06 for like a grand shipped to my door from angelos supplies online.
    It only weighs 160#, and it holds 800#...looks like it holds more to me. Comes with vibrator built in.
    here's a pic.

4. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

i dont think i need anything that big, plus it will kill me takin it on & off the truck
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have a Western 1000 and it works great
  6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Hitch mount spreaders are fine

Check out snowEx product line. They have several that are small and offer different holding capacities. They even offer a unit that plugs into your seven way plug and is remote control and requires no wiring harness. You may also want to check out their 575 unit.

Depending on your location in central IL, you should be able to look at one near you.

Good luck.
  7. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

no wire harness? i realize you can get power/ground back there but how do they turn on/off from the cab?
  8. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I have a Snowex SR-210. It has a wireless remote to turn the spinner on and off (two speeds to boot). It was like $600 at Home Depot. It plugs into the 7 pin plug and uses the all time hot power pin. In some cases you have to upgrade the relay serving that circuit...in my case I went from a 20 amp to a 30 amp. It's small, but it depends on the application. It worked great for me last year the 4 or 5 times I used it (I bought it mid-winter). I'm going to try running bulk salt through it this year and see how it goes. I have a boatload of 5 gallon pails with lids. I figure I'll just fill them up by hand out of my buddies salt pile and make sure it's dry and throw out the big chunks and I shouldn't have any problems. The $$ saved on bulk versus bagged is huge. Keep in mind this particular unit is only "rated" for bagged rock salt. I think this is mainly to keep you from putting damp product in and eliminating large chunks, which it probably wouldn't handle.

Here's the unit:

9. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Milehigh, can you run bulk sand through that?
  10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

If you go with the wireless unit it has a small handheld controller that turns it off and on.

With the 575 unit, you have a wiring harness and an in-cab control box.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Your not supposed to.

Cold and Tired does it (in the colorado weather thread), he's got a pretty good system you could ask him to share with you. I think as long as it's clump free, somewhat dry, it'll do alright. Comes w vib.

I have yet to use it in real situations.