1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hitch-mount spreader- anybody ever use SAND?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RetireEarly, Dec 9, 2007.

1. RetireEarly

RetireEarly Junior Member

Has anybody ever been able to get sand through a hitch mounted pull behind spreader. I'm new to all the products out there in snow management. We don't get enough ice or snow to really invest in a big sander. I was thinking of some ideas to make sure the sand will stay broken up in the spreader but I didn't know if you guys had any experiences that you could share. Thank you

My ideas.... Take a utility trailer and load it with sand hitch the spreader behind that somehow, and keep a small rotortiller inside the hopper of the spreader to keep the sand fine and not clumped. build something to only allow the tiller to not go that deep to not hit the spreader tine thing and cover the tiller to not ruin the motor. laugh all you want but this is my only cheap remedy. :cool::confused: