1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hitch Mount snow ex 1075

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Young Pup, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Was wondering if any of you ran the hitch mount 1075? Have you had any problems with it being set up this way? Will it hold the amount of salt it is intended for set up this way? Any issues with it not funneling down or getting clogged up?

Thanks in advance,

JP

2. Tractor Tidy

Tractor Tidy Junior Member
    from IN

SnowEx 1075

I think the hitch mount is too light for this spreader even though they offer it. The recommended hitch for the 1875 is the pivot-mount hitch. It supports the weight better and allows you to swing it out to access the truck bed for your bags. I'm a SnowEx dealer in IN. My rep told me to only order the pivot-hitch.

3. Young Pup

Thanks for the reply. By pivot hitch are you talking about drilling into the bumper as the set up is intended or using a hitch mounted pivot mount??

Edit: I just reread your post. Do you have a link to the pivot mount??

4. Tractor Tidy

from IN

No, I don't have a link. I'm not sure on how the pivot mt. attaches to the bunper, I have not installed or seen one installed. It does not attach to the hitch. It has a wide frame on the back of the spreader that attaches to the truck part and then pivots away from the truck.

They have a pivot pal that attaches to the hitch but that is only for the lighter spreaders,
    SP575 and below.

5. Young Pup

Anyone else with this setup?? A friend has a hitch mount pro flow and puts 700 pounds in it with not problems, so what can't I snow ex do the same thing?? Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JP

6. Tractor Tidy

from IN

Yes, but does it have support staps to hold it up to the bed. The 1075 cap. is 860lbs., that's a lot just off the hitch.

7. Tractor Tidy

from IN

I'm sure you could do it w/ a hitch mount, just don't recommend it. Try it, if it breaks or fails, you'll know why and don't cry warranty!

8. Young Pup

Actually on his pro flow he has a frame that slides into the hitch and the pro flow hooks up to the from. He uses no straps.

And don't worry I would not cry warranty. But if they offer it has a hitch mount he has to be covered in a warranty imo. I appreciate your input and I will take that into consideration. Thanks.

Now has anyone else have any thougths.

9. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

I run a 1075 Pivot Pro. With that kind of weight I don't think I would ever consider using a hitch mount for it. With that said, I have been looking at others, like the bigger BOSS tailgate spreaders that are hitch mount. The mounting goes into the hitch, but has mounts that sit on the bumper to help with the weight.

10. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

Oh, and yes, the Pivot Pro mounting is permanently fastened to the bumper (by bolts that are too much of a pain to take off after you get them on). Don't know where in central ohio you are, but you always welcome to take a drive and inspect mine.

11. Young Pup

Thanks, I am right here in Columbus. A friend has one attached to the bumper. I don't want to drill holes into my bumper that is why I am looking at the hitch mounts.

12. broncscott

broncscott Senior Member

JP
    I answered your pm. I will post a picture of my Snow Ex 1875 swing away. I welded the swing away mounting plates on a 1/4 x5" bar and made a bracket in the middle that fits in the hitch. No holes in the bumper and the whole mount comes off in 5 minutes. Scott

13. I just bought a 1075 that has the stock truck bed mounting. The unit was a little rusty and weakened because of it. My other problem is that I have an excursion that I plan to run this on and have no way mount it other than hitch mount. Last week I cut off the spreader motor box and lower tub bracing. I replaced the original weak angle iron with much stronger 2" angle. Tomorrow I am getting a solid 2" receiver bar to build the hitch portion and attach to the new angle. This should give me plenty of support to hold the 1000 lbs of spreader and salt once loaded.

I have also removed the **** powder coating this thing came with and am covering everything with duplicolor truck bed armor. Hope this will work. I will try to load up some pictures after I get it fixed up tomorrow.

14. Young Pup

Thanks, doesnt look like I got a pm from you though. Sounds like you have a good set up, looking forward to the pictures.

15. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

We got a good deal on one and made it a hitch mount ourselves.

Installed a vibrator and run treated salt thru it all day long with no problems.

snow ex 1075 full back.jpg

snow ex 1075 side of hitch.jpg

snow ex 1075 back of hitch.jpg

16. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

We run several snowex tailgate spreaders. The 1075 will work fine as a hitch mount system. We used them until we switched to the swing away option. They will hold about 650 pounds maximum of product.You may sneak another 50 on top but that is it.

Call if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about snowex tailgate spreaders. We've been using the product for 7 years now and love it.

17. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Hey, JP, my old Buyers is one of those pivot mounts. It'll hold 800 lbs, and I'd be afraid to put all that on my hitch. I do, however, take the whole thing off every year, bumper plates and all, so it doesn't interfere with my dump insert. Not too big a deal. My truck isn't as nice as yours though, just a beat up, old rusty plow truck. When it gets replaced I'll be looking for one of the Boss or Western hitch-mount deals. You're welcome to check out my setup sometime though if you need to. I'm close.

18. Young Pup

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to look at a hitch mount 1075 Wednesday. Let you know what I do about this.

19. broncscott

broncscott Senior Member

JP
    Her are the pics. I tried using a piece of 2x2 tubing on the hitch but over time it became rusted so I went to the threaded piece for the hitch. Made mounting alot easier. The bumper mounting plates are welded to a piece of 1/4 x3" bar with a piece of 11/2x11/2x1/4" angle welded to the edge not 1/4" by 5" bar as I said earlier

IMG_20111214_074903.jpg

IMG_20111214_075003.jpg

IMG_20111214_075948.jpg

IMG_20111214_075958.jpg

IMG_20111214_080025.jpg

20. Young Pup

Thank you Scott for posting these pictures. I like the step you added to the right side of the mount too. Pretty slick and I bet that makes it alot easier at 3 in the morning to get in and out of the truck.