1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hitch mount salter recommendations ??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by scottL, Jan 8, 2009.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Same age old question.... Which hitch mount spreader to buy.

I have the Western 2500 - hate it. I know Meyer sells the same unit. I know that I want low profile, hitch mount. High capacity 9-11 #50 bags. I've been told by many repair shops that the SnowEx brand has a limited life on motors and the repairs cost a ton.

Thoughts?

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Read all the other posts asking the same question and you will get your answer.

3. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Look for a dealer that has an new old stock Western 2000. Pretty much the sasme thing as the 1000 except it has a larger hopper. They are still out there even though Western quit making them. They now make the Wonderful 2500:gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

4. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

Dodge Plower Pwr. Did you like your Western 2500. What problems did you have with it. What didn't you like i'm considering buying one. any help would be great. Thanks

nick

5. scottL

do NOT buy the 2500.
    There are so many problems with the design I could dedicate a report on it. In fact I have actually written up a report and sent it to western looking for a refund myself now. I probably could even write a book on what to look for in a salter - still would need to test these over priced units.

6. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I echo Scott's opinion, DO NOT buy a 2500 model. Do a search in the ice management and look for Western 2500. All I can say is, "In MY opinion" it is not worth $25.00.:gunsfiring:

7. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

Alright thanks after i posted this i saw your thread about the one you had an read up on it thank you. It prob saved me a lot of head aches. This is why i love plow site all the helpful people. Thanks again

nick

8. scottL

To be clear though Meyer has the same unit and hence the same problems. I've not tested the 1000 myself but, I can't find anyone who has a serious issue with it. I think there has been questions as to a choice of auger in the 1000 but, that apparently is a fixable item based on each persons need.

I think when it comes to salters this whole industry is way out of line on price to quality, design, etc.

9. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member