1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hitch Lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Lux Lawn, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone know a good place to get a set of the lights that plug into the receiver?
    I am looking for a set with a step on it. I thought I saw it on here somewhere.

2. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

Lux, if you have the luxury of any fab equip, they are really easy to make...i did one off of a winch mount i made years ago when the winch bit the dust...just a piece of plate welded onto a 2 inch square tube with a couple $12 50watt work lights from the local truck store bolted on and wired to a 7 pin connector...very handy, works great! let me know if you want dimensions, ideas, or help...

3. Lux Lawn

Thanks.
    I ended up buying what I was looking for, pretty much what you described. It has the 2 spots, running lights & a step on it.

4. 02f250superduty

02f250superduty Member

what did you buy? I have never seen any with a step on it. Would be very interested it having that on my truck.

5. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

pics? price?

6. Lux Lawn

I will try to get some on later.

7. Lux Lawn

Here they are.I got them for about $200.

DSC00331.JPG

8. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

i know the center pin is the reverse but did you have to run a separate power feed to the pin with a relay? i fab'd up a bracket with work lights last year for my reciever that was much brighter than the stock reverse lights but still not as bright as they should be...

9. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

mine are the same way, dimmer than they should be. i have the same pair of lights on my hitch as my backrack, and when turned on as cargo lights the backrack lights are much brighter than when they are on thru the reverse circut, the rack lights are brighter in reverse though than the hitch lights are. i was told at my local truck shop that if you wire a relay to the hitch that will brighten them up if you use (obviously) a large enough wire, you just have to splice the reverse trailer wire to the relay. i have enough light on the truck, so im not going to do it, but it sounds easy enough. i think you may be able to bypass the need for a relay though by just taking your power from the aux pin in your fuse box, not sure though, i do kno thats how i powered my backrack...but thats thru a switch.

10. Lux Lawn

I didn't have to do anything.

Just plug in & go.

11. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

12. Lux Lawn

That's exactly what I wanted.
    Where were you two weeks ago? Could have saved a couple bucks.
    Oh well maybe it will help someone else.

13. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Thanks

Thank you for the link!!

14. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Took A look

I liked these a lot but I was looking for the ones that you put into yoru four plug trailer harness and turn on when you back up
    On these you have to set up with your parking lights and it says not to leave them on when in reverse because you can damage the wiring??
    So how are you supposed to use them in reverse then?

15. flatlander42

Read it again....there is a Second Switch *aux switch* on the lights so you can use it while your truck is sitting still.....That is the switch that you should not leave on when you get in and then put it in reverse....that is how I understood it anyways. I have no Expirence with those, I just think they are cool and have read the site over.

16. flatlander42

Sorry, I must have been sleeping at the wheel! The ones you got look neat too. Hell it took me forever to find this link. I had to dig through my favorites, and there is getting to be a bunch of crap in that list!

17. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Ok

The way I was readign it was that you coudl only used them off your parking lights but that is the Utility light feature

Is there away to get the 7 point plug down to the standard Reese 4 point plug?, Without having to cut the wires, I have seen a 4 point to a 7 point adapter, but not the other way around I am going to email them, they are right in my back yard as far as location

18. WOLF8294

WOLF8294 Junior Member

hitch light!

Hey I saw this on a website... www.pro-hitch.com check it out - you can buy them online!

19. Lux Lawn

Yeah I talked to the guy where I bought it, he said they were from Mentor.

20. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

i made my own. square tube coming out of the receiver then sqare tubing 90 degrees straight up from the receiver to the top of the tail gate. then mounted the light on the top. i dont know about you guys but up here in northern mi., putting lights under the bumper or at bumper height would'nt do much or last very long. they'd be burried in snow after 10 minutes of driving down the road lol