1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hitch IN or OUT when Plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by linckeil, Feb 12, 2013.

Hitch In or Out?

1. Leave Hitch In

2. Take Hitch Out

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

as the title says - do you pull the hitch from the receiver, or leave it in while plowing?

mine is always out. even in the summer if i know its going to be a few days without pulling a trailer i take it out. it always sits on the passenger floor ready to be put back in about 10 seconds if i ever need it unexpectedly.

i'm surprised by the number of trucks i see in tight driveways with a hitch adding another 6-12 inches to the length of the truck.
  2. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Why in the world would you leave your hitch in the receiver when you're not towing? The only reason I know is for people who get rear-ended often and want to let bad drivers get punished with more damage...

Might as well leave your plow on all year too.
  3. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

I see it more with home owners than pros. They not only leave it in 24/7 but they buy the 3 ball hitches which you know they have no use for.
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

i have never taken my bumper protector (pintle) out. NY drivers are stupid. I've seen CT and RI drivers, they've hit it too
  5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Leave mine in, makes a great step for climbing in and out of the bed.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Much easier to wrap a chain on if you need it.
  7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Since I was hit in the rear I leave mine in to protect my bumper
  8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Spreader trucks no, other trucks yes. I haul trailers often. I'll be damn@d if I back up to a trailer and there's no hitch in the receiver. That's what they're there for. And as stated above there's always something to hook to if need be, and something for a car or light pole/ballard to hit first. And yes, all have happened.
  9. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I dont take mine out I tow a trailer every other day. waste of time
  10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

My comes off for the Tailgate Spreader, the rest of the time it's in.
  11. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

Nothing beats walking around the back of the truck at night and baning your shin into a hitch! Makes the blood flow a little better, and avoids the need for warm up exercises!
  12. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i understand the part about it being a nice step to get in and out of the bed. i also get having it in to put a chain on if need be. what i do is attach a short length of chain on the receiver where the safety chains of a trailer would go. this stays on the truck year round. see picture below. this cures the "i need something to hook a chain to" rationale.

i like to have as much room to manuver as possible when plowing, and sometimes the length of that hitch makes a difference. plus if i happen to back into a car or a wall, you can be sure that hitch will do a lot more damage than my bumper.

as for being rear ended and punishing a bad driver who hits you - i had a buddy who refused to remove the hitch from his truck. he'd go half way across the country with no trailer, and leave the hitch in. i always asked him why and he said, "its not my problem if i get rear ended". well one day he did get rear ended. the car that hit him ignited. he tried to pull away, put ended up dragging the car with him as the hitch had attached him to the car. very quickly his fiberglass cap ignited. anyone ever see fiberglass burn???? needless to say the truck he loved was total within 10 minutes right in front of his eyes - all becuase he was too lazy to pull the hitch. this was years ago and i can tell you he never, ever has the hitch in the receiver unless he's pulling something.

for the few seconds it takes to pull the pin, i just can't understand why it would be left in while plowing? but i see it all the time - and in my experience, it's more the pros then the homeowners - contrary to what other people think.

Attached Files:

13. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I got a 3-ball on a discount for $20. The regular price for a 2-ball is more than that, and the 3rd ball sure doesn't hurt anything.
  14. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I drive too much in the city. It stays ON.
  15. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Cool story.
  16. jasonv

from kannada

Funny story: I bought my truck brand new and picked up a receiver the same day I picked up the truck, installed it right away same day, along with my trusty old 3-ball, not even the wiring yet (back-ordered), just the receiver and 3-ball. Drove it to work the next day, on my way home, sitting at a RED LIGHT with a dump truck in front of me, stoner in a honda decides to make friends with Mr. 3-balls. This is less than 24 hours after I brought the brand new truck home. If not for Mr. 3-balls, he would have wrecked my bumper, which again, I remind you, was only a few hours old.
  17. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Mine pintle stays in to protect my bumper.
  18. jasonv

from kannada

Your mind games are meaningless and only prove to everyone else that you lost this round.
  19. jasonv

from kannada

Valid. But I generally don't like to be within 6 inches of what I can't see anyway.

Its not about punishment. Its about protection. Bumpers cost what, about $1000? And if your bumper gets bent in and strikes the corners of your bed, that jumps up to a pile of body work as well.

Now that's just bad luck. REALLY bad luck.

To protect your car from a collision that's somebody else's fault. Contrary to one example of bad luck, FAR FAR FAR more likely, it'll protect your car than assist in its demise. Try to guess what portion of rear end impacts involving an inserted trailer hitch actually result in fire taking out both cars. Maybe 1 in 100,000? 1 in a million? While waiting to be hit a million times for that freak event, you save a billion $ worth of bumpers, which more than makes up for the one fire loss, even if you both are uninsured.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  20. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I've got a dmi bumper, no receiver. I always leave the hitch on it stick out. I can slide it in but like others said, it makes a great step!