1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hit manhole cover, bent 810.......

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by MrBillsLawn, Dec 5, 2010.

1. MrBillsLawn

MrBillsLawn Member

Well, went out a few nights ago to do some clean-ups and show a newbie how to plow when I hit a manhole cover dead on at about 25-30. I bent the cutting edge, the bottom of the mold board and pushed the bottom of the rib that attaches the a-frame to the board into the area where the box on the wing slides. Now the first two I am not concerned about, but the rib being pushed in the box does not allow the wing to retract all the way. Has anyone else ever done/seen this? Have an easy way to bend and weld it back?

PICT0088.jpg

PICT0089.jpg

PICT0090.jpg

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Well that sucks...your teaching you newbie to plow @ 25-30 mph good thing you didn't come to a complete stop and set the airbags off, good luck fixing it tho.

3. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Well I wish I could blame this on the expandable plows not being tough enough but I guess I miss the speed part.

Sounds like the blind teaching the blind the "proper" way of plowing. Geesh. Them speeds will bend a v-plow or a straight blade....I don't know how you'd fix that short of buying a new molboard.

4. MrBillsLawn

MrBillsLawn Member

I can't believe that you guys have never gone 25 down a private drive while plowing in the middle of the night. I guess that must be a West Michigan thing. I am not plowing out grandpas drive..... we are moving snow. The faster you go, the further the snow flies off the end of that blade. Same concept of the county trucks going 40, 50, and 60 mph. Have to get that snow off the road and move on to the next account. We don't go this fast in the afternoon when kids are out and people are coming home from work, but at 3 in the morning when everyone is in bed, hell yeah we haul ass.

If anyone else has seen anything like this, or bent anything like this, any help would be appreciated.

5. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

if you want to bring it to the east side of the state i will hook you up with a guy that can fix it and make you a knew cutting edge.

p.m me if you want to

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Been there done that, both the damage and the fix. You need to drop the molboard from the Aframe and pivot beam, tie down the outer corners of the plow, use a couple grab hooks into the where the plow shoes mount, then drill a 5/8th hole below the pivot pin on the ear. Slip a clevis over the ear, pin it, and pull away. It takes quite a bit of power, my frame rack is 10 ton, and does the job.

Oh, seeing as your plow is a 99, you need to take 4 pieces of 3/8 th steel 1-2 inches wide, and weld along either side of each mounting ear, weld continous bead each side, that will greatly help stop this problem.

7. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Hell yeah i know what your talkin' about!!!

sorry to hear about your break so early in the season.... just take it somewhere like weingartz or any other good plow dealer/ service center and see how much it will cost to get u rolling again... because idk anything about your fleet but we might have a good plow even coming in wed. thurs. of this week!

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed, I do 25 mph in a Wendy's parking lot (when they are closed). :nod:

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

All I can say is don't get mad at the newbie when he brings back broken equipment because you showed him how to plow. Did you get your plow fixed?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Haha, good point. Thumbs Up

11. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Almost been there. My brother hit one at about 25. Only took a chunk out of the edge though. Id say i got lucky.

I would have to say to bend it back would take a lot of force. Just dont forget to reinforce it afterwards. Its been weakened.

010 (3).jpg

12. MrBillsLawn

MrBillsLawn Member

No I haven't fixed it yet, I am asking all the old timers what they think first. Your can gain a lot of knowledge by just asking. Thanks fastjohnny for the insight. I had a feeling that I was not the only one who has done this before. I don't have a frame rack to pull the board back, but I think that I have an idea involving a tree and some chains. I will take some pictures when we preform the surgery. The funny part of this whole thing is that it just bent the cutting edge....didn't break it. The plow still functions just fine the wing just wont go all the way in..... sticks out about 4" more then normal.

As for taking this plow to a "dealer". HA HA, I can already hear them telling me to just "buy a new board". A good ol' boy told me once that "nothing is ever broken....just in need of repair". He also worked at a junk yard and would cut cars in half, weld them together and jump them on dunes until the broke in half agian. A welder and heat can fix any plow.

As for the newbie, the best way to train them is to take them out and show them how you expect them to plow, and show them how they will be able to plow after 13 years of plowing. It is good in a way to hit a manhole cover like this so they know that **** happens and that just because the plow trips doesn't mean that the truck is broken. Also they see what is involved when you make them help you fix the plow. Have to make them respect the equipment. There is a big difference between going fast and plowing fast.

13. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Nice looking welds on that repair maelawncare!

14. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Thanks, forgot to cover up the moldboard though lol

15. Wallace

Wallace Member

I have a quick and easy fix!
    Check out the used equipment section.
    I have a used 810 we just took in on trade.
    Its yours for $2,800

16. ctbman

ctbman Member

If you want a spare I have a 99 810pp in good shape for a spare for 900.00