1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hit a mud puddle and my truck quit...any idea?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Camden, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Came around a corner today and I went through a massive mud puddle. I swerved to miss the deep part but my truck still got pretty wet (mostly on the right side).

About 100 yards after the puddle my truck shut off and hasn't run since. It doesn't even fire. The check engine light is not on and the air filter is bone dry.

This is on a 04 Dodge diesel...you guys have any ideas?

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a Dmax owner,so not exactly sure of the Cummins habits,but this isn't rocket science.Some critical wires/relays,switches,links got wet and you need to dry them off.I'd borrow your wife's/GF's hair dryer and have at it.

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

yeah Cam borrow that chicks hairdryer from adultgifs LOL

sorry about your truck man, mine acted funny after plowing a storm that turned to pouring rain, but its fine now

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

no clue. solenoid?

5. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

alright good news or bad news?

good news i work for chrysler as a service advisor so i have a decent idea of what went on.

bad news, if im not mistaking your air box is on that side. what MAY have happend is when you hit the puddle water went up the fender and in to the air box which at then went int ot the motor and COULD have stalled it, what you need to do is finda good cummins tech *either at his house or at a chrysler dealer that you trust* and get them to look at this issue. the problem with water and chrysler diesels is that they DO NOT use stainless lines, pump linings or injector (including rifles) which means if you have water in there it could have possibly hydrolocked the motor and the tips of the injectors could have had water on them and then will rust in future (each injector from chrysler is about 2200 i think) but like i said this is just about worst case. have someone look at it and see if water even got in the cylinders.

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Oh good lord I hope you're wrong. I know injectors are expensive so I'm hoping that's not the case. Like I said, my air filter was bone dry so if I took in water somewhere it wasn't through that spot.

Thanks for replying :waving:

7. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

well if you can get it in to a garage (house garage will work) just let it sit for a day and dry out, see if it starts in a day try that first

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well back from my off roading days and killng my motor in the water, gassers mind you, but still could apply. Usually after something like this would happen, I would drain all of the oil out, cause I am ssure water got in there. Take the plugs out, and squirt a little gas/oil mix in there to help get rid of any water. Im not sure if you can easily access each cylinder on a diesel, as I have never owned one. If you can get into the cylinders like on a gas, take an air compressor and try to blow the cylinders dry. Get some diesel in there to re-lube the top end so it isnt bone dry. Close it back up and put some clean oil in that baby and you should be ok. My guess is you soaked something involving the glow plugs and they are not doing crap. But again, I am by no means any kind of a diesel guy so do go crazy fixing things off my post. I hope this can be of some help for you though:waving:

9. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Did you happen to look at the exhaust or turbo or anything in that area?? Just throwing ideas out.. Possible the hot turbo got splashed with water and cracked and locked up the turbo? I dunno, but its probably just a critical engine input like a cam sensor that got wet... Just look for obvious stuff first and go from there..

10. MrCarlson

MrCarlson Junior Member
    from MM

I think a little more details would be handy... otherwise it is pure speculation. I am assuming that the motor still cranks fine but doesn't fire. is that true?

Is there any smoke coming out of the exhaust when you try to start it (proving it is getting at least some fuel)?

Are you sure that the whole air intake path is free from obstructions?

Have you checked to make sure you have fuel pressure?

- Matt in MN
    "Knowledge is HorsePower"
    97 F250, Powerstroke, 9'2" Boss V, Tommy Lift

11. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

Just for your own kowledge, no diesels have spark plugs they work purly on high pressure fuel and compression only. fords and chev...er isuzu's(duramax) use glow plugs to warm the air in the cylinders while cummins use an intake heater (toaster grid type in the intake) and also chevy and ford are the only 2 to have a v type engine while cummins are stricly 6's in the dodges. didnt mean to hiyjak the thread but just wanted to clear some comments up so ppl dont get confused

12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I know they dont have plugs, lol. But now that you said Cummins has a grid heater in the intake, is there any chance that got messed up from water entering the intake?

13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

thats a possibility but it wouldnt affect the operation of the engine if it was running previously. the only reason for the GPs or IH is for a cold weather start.

Camden, im with the other guy, sounds to me like a harness came unplugged or a sensor got wet. is there a fuel cutoff that may have tripped? im not sure if ford is the only one that has that or not. Was it just a water thing or also a pot hole that shook the whole truck? im kinda thinking a harness or a sensor. thats the best i can do.

14. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

not really, that heater will cycle on and off to bring up the temp in the air in to the engine on some of the 06's and 05's but even if that intake heater wasnt working the cel would have been on, and that wouldnt effect any drivability issues hes having.

15. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I would take a little part of each of what everyone said. If you can get it in a garage to dry out that will help, put some heat to it to help a little more. If no heat at least put a fan aimed at the engine bay. Check as many connections as you can to make sure they are dry, and leave them unplugged to let them dry out. Plug everything in the next day, and good luck!

16. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

o and check all ur fuses

17. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

lots of bad things can happen ie adaptive's and other vairable settings can be lost when unplugged for extended periods of time... just becareful, takei t to a dealer, we get paid what we do because we do it best! im not saying htat to get you to waset money im saying that for you to save money.

18. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I Pulled code PO628 "Fuel pump relay control circuit low voltage"...I Googled the code and there were a few dozen sites where guys discussed what exactly that code means. Turns out the lift pump is shot and needs replacing. Apparently it's a big problem on 03 and 04 trucks like mine.

Bigger job than I can handle so the truck's at a local shop until Monday.

Pump was $260...don't know what labor is going to be.

19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Some times parts just decide to die and the circumstances make you think it's something else altogether. Put Dielectric grease in the wire harness plugs before you put them back together. It protects them from water and other cruds.

For guys with older trucks with distributer caps. When you go through a big puddle like that the truck can die later in the day. Maybe even the next day or so. Or hard to start days later.
    The heat of the engine will turn the water into steam and condense inside the cap. Or driven in from the force of the water.
    Pop the cap off and spray it with wd40 etc. Wipe it out with a cloth, not paper towels, they leave fibers.
    This is why I put a bead of Dielectric grease between the mating surfaces on a cap. Seals it up from water and steam. If it's running rough after the plunge. Have it running in the dark and look for little blue sparks under the hood from the ignition wires.

20. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Just as a clarification,Dmax's also have an intake heater.