1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hit a garage door - HELP!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sn0wpl0wKID, Feb 20, 2007.

1. sn0wpl0wKID

sn0wpl0wKID Junior Member

Hi everybody, this is my first post. I was brought here in a feeble attempt to help solve my dilemma with a garage door that i hit with my plow on accident :dizzy: .

Its a steel door, and i hit the bottom panel and put a 4 inch hole in it with my plow. Does anyone have any knowledge about what this will cost me to fix?

Oh yeah, my insurance won't cover it because i hit it with my plow and it wasnt listed in my insurance that i had a plow.

so what am i looking at in terms of total cost to repair this? anyone know??

thanks in advance for the replies

-sn0wpl0wKID :mad:

2. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Depends on how big the door is. You can usually get a garage door company to replace a bottom panel for somewhere in the range of $175- $350 depending on the door width, whether it is a plain or embossed steel panel, insulated or non-insulated. Get a measurement of the door and call some door companies. This is not hard to do. Instead of paying, offer to plow out the owner's house or his biz lot as payment. Trade out when you can instead of paying cash!

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Worst case you buy them a new door and say your sorry. If you take care of the problem right away all is forgiven (you hope).For the price a few hundred to a few grand depending on the type of door.

Tomorrow get you insurance so you can plow.

4. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Find out what kind of door it is and locate a dealer. You should be able to replace only the one panel if the color matches. We have done this before. Cost depending on the manufacturer and type are $150.00 to $300 a panel. Easy to install if you can turn a wrench.

5. grandview

If it's an older door it may be trouble with just putting in 1 new panel.The color won't match.

6. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Like the other guys said you are looking at least a couple hundred dollars. It may be cheaper if it isn't an insulated. Talk to a local dealer most of the time they may have used panels that they can put in that are in good shape and can be put in sometimes the same day. I was a garage door installer for 2 years and have seen it done a couple times. Just the glad it isnt a custom wood door that costs about a grand per panel.

7. sn0wpl0wKID

sn0wpl0wKID Junior Member

wow that was probably the fastest anyone has ever responded to me in an online forum. THIS SITE ROCKS!! :bluebounc

thank you for all of the advice you guys have given me, it surely makes me feel a lot better about the situation. i thought i was going to be paying out of my ass for that accident.

looks like im going tomorrow and measuring the door and calling around for some estimates.

thanks for the super fast responses, you guys must be awesome with customer service in regards to operating your businesses! ROCK ON !

-sn0wpl0wKID wesport

8. grandview

Customer service? Were all to busy being on here to worry about that!:D

9. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Take a picture of the door too. That will help the dealer determine what brand of door it is.

10. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

We usually nail a couple of them a season it seems. This past snow event we hit one at a condo complex..I got lucky that one of our subs is a carpenter that occasionally does garage doors. He picked up the door for $585.00 and charged me 225 to install it.

We have hit them before and it was around 1500 to replace it. Depending on the age and availability of the door.

11. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

wheww ! .. never hit a door yet .. but i did slap into a brand new 06' Dodge minivan last month ... minor damage but did rip a good gash in the sliding door on the passenger side ... no broken glass or nething .... minor damage to my truck ... but nope no garage doors yet .... gotsa becareful while plowing !!! ...

12. X-LOWBALLER

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

Like the above poster said, take pics of the incident. That way, if they come at you and say you busted more than just the part you mentioned, you ll have picture proof.

Sorry, I have to be the first to say it...........WHY ARE YOU PLOWING without insurance? I understand why, I just had to ask. (Okay, I feel better)

Be careful next time. That door will run you some big bucks and believe me, the owner will NEVER be happy no matter what you do, no one ever is, just deal with it and move on.

13. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

dont' take too long price shopping, the customers will appreciate it more the quicker it is fixed, they would get upset and would be less likely to forgive if you save money but by making them wait a week or more for it to get fixed. Do you know if the track was at all bent or if any other part of the door or door system was damaged.....and can the door be opened in its' current state?

btw....welcome to plowsite!!!

14. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

get insurance. a garage door wont be more than a $1000 to repair. I wouldnt even claim it on insurance. However get insurance. What are you going to do if you barrel into a telephone box and nock out a bunch of lines for a few days and what will you do when they send you a bill for $20,000 and you dont ahve insurance. Get insurance dude.

15. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i dont want to be a jerk but you really should get insurance at sometime or another it will pay off

16. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Insurance when you have it you won't use it.When you need it you won't have it.GET IT.
    ;)

RCGM
    Brad

17. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Put a rubber flap on the hole and then charge them for installing a pet door (ha ha )

18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I am wondering if this is a commercial or residential account?

I am also wondering what he bid to get the job?

Now I am wondering how much profit he made?

I may be a sub, but I have the proper insurance and have less profit then other subs. I demand a higher price though and so far have taken $0 from my pocket to cover anything damaged.

But then again like the above poster said. If you have it you don't seem to need it.

I only have a problem with the damn protection posts that places seem to put right where you turn. Almost every truck I have had through the years I have scraped or sideswiped one of those monstrous 4 Ft. concrete posts. All but one at bank drive thru's.

I have a friend that owns a body shop and had him fix them for cash discount's.

The garage door on my garage here is 10 Ft x 16 Ft. Insulated panels. To replace one is over $800 bucks parts and labor.

Since it is the bottom panel it is going to have to be done by a pro because the tension has to be released on the door and the springs re-sprung. Not a easy job if you don't have the proper tool's.

19. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Let's be honest. A garage door is not rocket science to install. Depending on the door, you can go right down to HomeDepot or Lowes and get pretty decent garage doors and follow the instructions to install yourself. At least a average handy guy can..providing he has the tools.

I did garage doors with my cousin when I was in my twenties (he owned the co.) anyway, we would remove doors and keep panels of woods doors that were in good condition. That being said, call a local garage door guy or installer. He may have something that can be used.

btw, get insurance.

20. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

All you guys telling him its a easy job and to go to Home Depot, find a used panel, etc., need to keep in mind its the homeowners choice on how its fixed. You hit my gargae door, you will not be giving me anything less than what was damaged and it will not be done by you, unless you are qualified garage door installer. Hard lesson to learn is get the PROPER INSURANCE.