1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hit a car...i think????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bow2no1, Jan 18, 2009.

1. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

so here's the story..
    i was just plowing a few hours ago in a customers drive way.
    the guy has been a dink all season. so far is is the only one complain and it's every storm.
    he keep asking me to plow closer to his car it's an older Honda civic. so i have the plow tilted away from the car. car is on the drivers side of my truck so i can see the end of the plow and i plow as close as i feel i comfortable with. i don't believe it hit his car. seem like i would have felt the plow hit or seen it hit.

i went to stick the bill in his door and noticed the front corner of his car i plowed buy looks like an orange scrape and the bottom of the bumper is broken. given the car has a bunch of dings dents and i remember the back bumper had a hole in it also.
    also my plow is dark red not orange. i didn't say anything to the customer. cuz i don't think i did it i was watching the edge of the plow. also i didn't see any pieces that broke off laying around and there was no paint transfer on my plow also does not appear that my plow scraped on his car.

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Danger is if you go along a vehicle with your plow angled away and your driving close to it, If the blade catches on to something that is the cutting edge it will pull the truck closer to what you are plowing too close to. And it might pull some dollars out of your pocket.

3. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

One is red and one is orange. Done deal.

4. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

wouldnt think twice about it, as you said its different colors. wouldnt even give it a thought unless he says something and then you show him the color differences. maybe smear some snow on it so he cant see :p

5. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I don't think you hit him. But I think you should drop that customer... it may be a loss of some profit, but he sounds like a jerk, let some lowballer get his drivewway.

6. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i was going to just do him this season and not next.
    i just laid off and only plow 2 drive ways for money.
    the rest are freebies, grandmother,uncle, my parents..

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Don't mention it. Doesn't sound like you did it.

8. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

I would tell him that 3 feet is the max distance you go next to the car if he wants you to get closer than that or get where the car is parked he needs to move it BEFORE you will get that side of the driveway!
    no if's and's or but's that is the way it is or I am done here.....

but that is just me.
    it sounds like he is a p.i.t.a. and you do not want to be defending your self to his or your insurance company!
    slugger

9. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i figure the home owner needs to take some initiative on their own to shovel something..
    he doesn't shovel anything just stompss a path to his drivers side car door and drives off.

10. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

go out and paint black endson your plow. then say it couldnt of been me lol

11. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

never plow within 2' of a car - period.
    in this case be polite if he says you did hit it and calmly say and limit your words to "it is something you strongly believe that you did not make contact with and did notice an orange paint on the vehicle."

In either case ... drop them. A one day add in the paper will net you many more customers to replace this one jerk.

12. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i don't see any need to. there are no marks on my plow where the car hit. no car paint on my plow, no scraps from where it might have rubbed.
    i was close to it, but like i said i plowed close from the drivers side so i could see the edge of the plow.
    i don't think i hit it. but the marks are on the corner of the car i was closest to.
    so that was making me wounder

13. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

well.. i plowed him just after i posted eirlier...
    when i pull in to his yard what he doing? sweeping off the damaged area and shoveling around his car.
    i'm thinking hmmm this is odd behavior. so i plow his whole drive out while he continues sweeping and shoveling.
    when i was done. i made out the bill and he tells me he's going away for a trip to PA for a couple weeks and will not need to be plowed.
    and off i go....off in to the wild whit yonder

i did glance down once briefly so not get attention at the damaged are. oddly enough i saw no orange at all just scrapes. maybe it was a reflection last night when i plowed? i dunno? any way looks like i'm off the hook.

14. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Maaan.... you know that orange paint is the same paint you got on your plow after you hit the orange car.. Now you got the orange car's paint on the other car. You be makin' a mess out there is what be happenin'...

15. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

lol that would be funny

16. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Add this to your contracts next season.....

17. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

hey, hughes is there any towing forums?
    my father owns pages towing here in boothbay might be of interest to him.

18. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

He said get closer can't get any closer then hitting it I think he got the message" I'm going out of town" he's shoveling it now I bet

19. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

that also crossed my mind.. he seems like sucks a *****.. maybe he was intimated and didn't want to stand up to me? lol that's what i wanna believe

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  20. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

wow didn't know the "P" word was a sware