1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Historical climate data

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Lad, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

From the NOAA site I got storm information back to the 1997-1998 winter. I'd like to go back 10 years with local climate data, so back to the 1993-1994 winter. Want I want is the monthly data that shows daily precipitation, not just a brief seasonal recap.

Anyone know where I can get this "historical" data? Is it available on the web somewhere in some archive?

2. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

For those of you interested when doing your research down the the line, this is the answer I got from the NOAA folks.

"You will have to go to the NCDC (the climatic center) to get past data. Ask for the latest annual LCD. which should list the past 30 yrs of snow data per month. 828-271-4800 www.ncdc.noaa.gov
    If your lucky they may have some data from a coop observor on the east side. "

Historical LCD is $4.00 per month. I'm a bit cheap and need about 20 months worth of info, so I'm trying to avoid laying out $80.00 to confirm what I think is already accurate. I just want to carry the data a little further back than 5 or 6 years. Any other ideas on where to get historical data?

3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Anything to do with NOAA is usually about as good as you can get. NOAA tracks and records all daily conditions. I went to the site of a local meteorologist who owns a commercial weather tracking service for companies, and he also refers to the NCDC site for historic climatory data.

Good Luck

Jay

4. Lawnlad,

For our area you can go to the fox 8 web site and click on weather and they have the climate data right in there, it is up dated daily.
    It has all the info broken down for you, past snowfall records, etc.

Steve :cool:

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

The NCDC information are the "official" observations, and that info can usually be purchased 6 months or so after the the weather happens (If you are looking for current year data). However, your local NWS web site may also have the data you are looking for if you search there. Check their climate section, or archive section. Some NWS offices have this info readily available & set up well, while other offices site's are not done so well. Try that if the other TV station mentioned doesn't have the info you need.