1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hissing noise from steering column...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by fourseasonspm, Dec 15, 2009.

1. fourseasonspm

fourseasonspm Junior Member
    from CT

Hi all-
    I have an '03 Ram 2500 . I've recently had my power steering pump and lines replaced due to leaking, and now I have an annoying hiss that I can hear loud and clear inside the cab. The hiss is constant when the wheel is straight, and disappears whenever I turn the wheel slightly in either direction. It seems as if the rubber wall that the steering column passes through isn't sealing tight enough, and is letting that noise through but it's hard to tell. The mechanic that did the work said that he didn't hear any noise that wasn't normal, but I know it's not supposed to be so loud inside the cab. Anyone else have any similar problems? Thanks!

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Did you make sure your fluid level is up? Could also be air trapped in a line.

3. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

It may be completely unrelated, some of the Dodge guys on here will know.
    But there is a recall that came out this April for the power steeering on these 3rd generation rams. It's a safety recall, so dealers definitely know about it.

4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

take it back to your mech something aint right only fords make that noise :D

5. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

i have a 05 and never heard about no recall

6. fourseasonspm

fourseasonspm Junior Member
    from CT

Funny that you say that, I bought my Dodge from a Ford dealership and got an extended Ford warranty, so my work was done at a Ford dealership! My friend has an 04' Ram 1500 and his truck makes the same hissing, only you can't hear it at all inside the cab. It's only noticeable when the hood is up. And the fluid level is good.

7. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

See: http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/

Type in the last 8 of your VIN on the left side. It doesn't affect ALL vehicles.