1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiring sub contractors to help with my accounts...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cleansweep007, Nov 6, 2008.

1. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Hey fellas,
    Got a question for ya and hoping for an answer. I am going to hire a sub contractor for the winter to help with all my accounts. He is providing his own truck and plow and I am going to pay him a percentage base for the accounts he is doing. Its going to be a mix of residential and commercial lots. Was thinking about putting together some sort of contract for him. Any ideas on is this is a good idea or not. Is it better for just a verbal explanation of what I expect and so forth, or should I put it down on paper. If I make up a contract for him what all should it entail? Let me know what you all think and if this is something you have done in the past. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks and good luck this season !!!

Tim A.
    Clean Sweep Lawn Care
  2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

we use them, it spells every thing out, ours alos includes a non-complete clause
  3. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

put it on paper and also include a witness signature JMO
  4. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Won't stand up in court as a sub. You would have to sell your business to someone for a non-compete to stand up in court. How would your non-compete be worded? I know that doesn't stand up, because I'm plowing the same lot for a different company as I did before. I used to plow the same lot for company A, and they lost the contract to company B and company B came to me and asked me if I still wanted to plow it. Company A, I always had to wait 30-45 days to get paid, I knew someone else that worked for company B and was paid at the end of every storm so I had no problem working for company B. Company A was going to sue me, but that lasted all of about 2 phone calls.

If it is what you do for a living you can not make someone sign a non-compete clause unless you are selling your business to them, doing so is probably illegal, I would call a lawyer before throwing that in a contract. You can probably do a non-compete on the lots you are subbing to him, but I would definitely contact a lawyer before just throwing that in, because you might be breaking the law yourself. I'm not a lawyer,
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Put it on paper, get it notorized and don't forget about insurance.