1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiring my first employee...now what?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by fortywinks, Dec 13, 2014.

1. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

I'm a one man gang doing residentials only. This year in an effort to reduce my workload and offer my customers quicker service I have decided to hire someone to drive my second vehicle. He is looking for some extra cash, has a flexible work schedule, and plowing experience. He has a clean driving record.

The IRS W-4 seems to be the easy part. What else do I need to address as far as my LLC business goes? I've already checked into the Commercial Insurance and its a number I can live with. Worker Comp same thing. I've met the guy and I am very optimistic this is going to be beneficial for me and my business.

Is there a difference between a seasonal employee and a part-time employee and if so how do I go about defining it? Do I need him to sign something stating his employment is part-time work effective Dec. 15 thru Apr. 15 or whatever dates I choose? Right now I'm not sure of the questions I need to ask or the things I need to cover to make sure my business is protected.

If it matters, I'm running a 2014 Sierra and 1999 Wrangler with straight blade BOSS plows. Shoveling of some sidewalk at each residence is required.

Thanks in advance,

KB

2. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Call your city labor board. It varies a lot depending on where you live.

3. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

work comp policy, truck insurance up to date. have your insurance carrier add him to your policy. get a second job... Employees can cost you as much as they make you.. I have 3 full times and sometimes they are great. other times I want to pull out my hair.