1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiring First Employee

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by walkerlawncare, Nov 14, 2015.

1. walkerlawncare

walkerlawncare Junior Member
    from WI

Hello,
    I am considering hiring my first employee as someone to shovel sidewalks for me while I plow. The reason is that I can get a lot more done in the same amount of time if someone else did the shoveling/snow blowing. Wondering how I should go about doing this. I also was wondering what you pay your sidewalk guys. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Place an ad here and/or on Craigslist. I'd pay them 15.00 per hour and 20.00 if they're good.

3. walkerlawncare

from WI

Thanks for the response! Cash or W2? Thanks!

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

That's a judgment call that I can't make for you. If it were me I'd 1099 him. But that's just me.

5. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Harley, give the young man professional advice. An employee is required to be covered by workers compensation, etc. In addition, an employee whom is being supplied equipment and transportation does not qualify as a W2 subcontractor. Paying cash (under the table) is not an option for this industry assuming we are trying to be professional.

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I would hire a female shoveler.

Preferably, not one of Buff's fantasy chicks in black spandex.

This way, you can plow snow, and while traveling from job to job, talk about baking cookies, the confusion in men's newest hair styles, and what her favorite sexual positions are.

At least it wouldn't be some boring talk about how they walked over the border and nearly starved to death in the desert sun of northern Mexico.

:D

7. walkerlawncare

from WI

Thanks guys for the advice. Sounds like what makes the most sense is to hire a legitimate employee. Thanks for your help!

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

You need to talk to your accountant, and your insurance agent.

9. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

FWIW,

My wife is my shovel monkey. She works damn cheap. A dunkin donuts medium coffee, with a Low fat blueberry muffin. Sometimes I have to buy her dinner, you know, when I'm hungry too.Thumbs Up

I like keeping it in the family, if possible. Makes things much easier, from almost all perspectives.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You wife just knows it's in her best interest to keep the family asset profitable..

11. Surprised no one mentioned this but if you are going to take business on that is suitable for two people (driver and shoveler) but too difficult for you solo then find several shovelers because it can be a common problem for a shoveler to not be available when the snow hits. What we do is we build a list and when the snow is expected we will just start calling from the list and the first person to commit gets to work. If they commit but don't show then they are cut from the list. Then we have an employment agency as reserve should we not be able to reach any of our shovelers.

12. walkerlawncare

from WI

Haha thanks for the idea!!! I may be able to do something like that!!!

13. walkerlawncare

from WI

Brilliant idea!!! I think I will go this route and should be a pretty reliable way to go. Thanks!!!!

14. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Check with your laws but most shovelers fall under day labor (less then $600 per year). But you have to get workers compensation for them still through your insurance. I've been lucky with shovelers for the past few years but they have full-time work now so I'll be hiring soon as well.

Michael

15. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Under WC rules she still needs coverage...you know she gets a cut whether she shovels or not? So where's the motivation...?

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

As a owner, (marital asset) she doesn't.

." In most states, business owners are allowed to exempt themselves from the coverage"

17. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Yup... That's the way it is here. I do have wc, but just not on me

18. walkerlawncare

from WI

Okay, Ill give my agent a call tomorrow and figure out a plan. Thanks again guys for all your help and great ideas on hiring!

19. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Why would you exempt yourself?

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Because you then dont have to pay for WC.
    Not every snall operation carry's WC nor do they need it.,

most/some already have health insurance so why the redundancy?
    You can get gap or coverage from aflac that will pay your bills if you cant work and be covered if a accident happens away from work.

who can opt out, varies but in most states it's like this.
    WORKERS’ COMPENSATION COVERAGE OPT-OUT FORM
    The following ownership types must complete this form
    if they wish to opt out of the Workers’ Compensation Requirement:
    Corporations
    with no employees other than the four main corporate officers (president, vice president, secretary & treasurer), must complete this form (Part A Only), signed by each of those four main corporate officers.
    Partnership's
    with no employees other than the Partner’s, must complete this form (Part B Only), signed by each of the Partner’s.
    Limited Liability Companies
    with no employees other than Managers/Members, must complete this form , signed by each of the Managers/Members.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015