1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiring a friend with a 4 wheeler and plow?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Kentuckydiesel, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

I have a buddy who has been plowing driveways with a honda foreman and a plow. He does pretty well, usually goes out and gets $50 a driveway with it. I am looking for a plow for one of my trucks and have been thinking about offering to hire him to help with driveway cleanup, sidewalks and such. What should I pay him? Should he have his own ins. and if he does, will that work out if we operate as partners rather than me paying him? What is the proper thing to do here? thanks, phillip

2. go plow

go plow Senior Member

well, first of all, if hes making $50 a drive, what will you make???? i know that if i can make 50 and someone wants to hire me for 10 i wouldnt do it!!!!!!

3. Kentuckydiesel

Well, we could do a lot more jobs if he knocked out the little stuff and I plowed the driveways. his 4 wheeler is too small for whole driveways IMHO and my truck is too big for sidewalks and smaller areas. So...what would be a fair percentage or pay rate?

Does this even sound rational???

-Phillip

4. somm

somm Senior Member

we second go plow's motion

what about 65 / 35 ?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  5. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

The ATV wil make you alot more efficient. I have a partner who runs an ATV. He cut curbs out for me and does walks ahead of me. That way I never have to slow down to edge anythig. He charges 50.00 hour. You can clear a heck of a lot so snow with an ATV in 1 hour. I agree, I would go 65/35 or 70/30. He should provide his own insurance because he will have a tendancy to do more property damage with edging along buildings etc.
    A pickup and a ATV are a very formitable pair.
    When we do the major truck stop in town, the ATV goes in ahead and edges around the building and around pumps ahead of the pickup. I figure that it cuts the pickup time in about half on that particular account. Another thing about an ATV on gas stations, THE FUEL TANK CAPS!!!. I have the ATV do the section of lot with the fuel tank caps so that I don't have to worry about picking up the caps with the pickup.

6. Kentuckydiesel

Thanks guys, that sounds like good advice. -Phillip