1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hireing people?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Bossman 92, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Well I just found out that my only full time guy will be leaving me in 2 weeks. Up untill now I have had no problem finding someone to drive, but now I am really hurting. I need at least 3 guys now, and mabey a guy to do walks. How do you weed through all the rummys to find someone willing to get out of bed at 1 am to work in the cold and the snow?
    Last year was our best year to date and I had my dad (the guy I am loosing) a buddy, (who worked 2nd shift) and ( now works 1st shift) and another buddy (who says now he doesn't want the long hours) !!!

Do I run an add in the paper? I run adds in the spring all the time and I get all kinds of jackasses wanting a paycheck for $8 an hour, I can't imagne what kind of response I will get for $15 or $20 an hour.

I have a few buddys who offered to "drive for you when I can", but we all know that never works for very long.

Thank god I have a few weeks before I have to worry about plowing, but I need help asap!!!

Any advice is better than what I have now! Bossman :drinkup:
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ask the guy who doesn't want to work the long hours to cover the 1st shift guy.

If you put an ad in the paper or where ever don't put down how much an hour talk after you find someone
  3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

The guy who doesn't want to work the hours, will probably bail my a*s out. He was the best man in my wedding, and I have known him for 20 years. He doesn't want to work all the hours because he owns a fishing in canada and makes pretty good coin during the summer, this is just play money.

Not posting a $$ number in the paper is a great idea!

Keep them comming!!! Bossman
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Start looking for trucks with plow mounts and ask them if they want to sub.
  5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

free and it's the source now. the papers are a waste of money (and craigslist is killing their business)

Just for an example, I put an ad in for a guy for a one day job. (landscaping, which we don't typically do).
    6 hours of work, bring shovel.

I got 50 (yes fifty) responses in 3 hours.

I picked the first guy, called him up, laid off civil engineer, worked his tail off, earned his money.

You can tell by the email responses typically if they are worth talking to.

It's a "buyers" market for hiring people.

6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I used c-list a month ago I had 146 replies in one day . most laid off older ppl. 35-55 I went threw 30 e-mails only had to talk too 4 found the one he still works for me . 5 min Early every day