1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hired my first employee

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by PTTP08, Dec 8, 2013.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Hired my first employee this winter to run my other truck this year whoohoo. But the funny part I stole him from a friend that does the same work. He left and came to my side of the shop cause dude doesn't even pay drive time from job to job I was like whah really!!!! He was purdy excited. I even let him take the truck home since he lives few miles up the rode. Told him just leave the time sheet in the truck I will stop by and pick it up. Kid was flabbergasted I tell ya.

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Good Luck !!! Lettuce know how this turns out for you.

3. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Mabey your new at this but stealing a freinds employee will come back to bite you in the ass someday . Bragging about it to the world is even worse , good luck with your buisness model .

4. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

What jmac said.

5. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

Just the fact that this guy was so willing to jump ship would have made me pass, hope this guy doesn't quit you during a big Strom. And isn't it a little late in the year to be bring on a new guy?

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

With friends like you....how's it go???

7. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

sniff, sniff I smell a grilling in here:yow!: Good point!

8. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

While it could be a messy/bad situation either way a think a big factor is if the employee approached the employer (OK) or the other way around (not cool IMO).

9. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

Karma has a way of catching up with you eventually.

10. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

He gets to take the truck home........ bet he's busy making his own plow list up as I type this.

11. snowpro44

snowpro44 Member

well..we dont know the whole story but....If he wasnt paying drive time ,he must be working cheap or hes a just a .......!!..ALL about $$$$..

12. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Your right, we only know what the op posted. Let's see he said he stole the employee from a friend, I have a friend who had his list of places and as long as my friend wanted them i would not touch them he is my friend. When my friend got out of the business i bid those properties and got them straight up, that in my opinion is how to do business.
    Further the guy who's employee jump ship spent time to train him on the route and his equipment, as a small business i feel it each time i train a employee and furnish them with nesscesary safety gear and they don't work out it costs money that then does not show up on my bottom line. Lastly my values code won't allow for that conduct, they would not be my friend for long in business or life.

13. whitehills1983

whitehills1983 Junior Member
    from CT

lol thinking the same...... So you give a new worker your truck to bring home? I can just see him drinking beer with 2 honeys in your truck plowing his own accounts near his house. Being serious though, that's risky. No one will take care of your sh** better then yourself. Watch the maintenance cost rise after a few storms.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  14. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Karma is a bit**

15. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

True, I asked help from a young man 4yrs back my drive way was 2cars wide, and about 200ft long the guy only charged me $15 he was good and the snow was light. About 6". I'm thankful he helped out. But now that I am in the business.... I can only imagine what his boss might of said if he found out.

16. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Well I guess I should of explained the story a lil better. He asked to come work for me. I stated you get the ok from him. My friend is ok with it. We bounce so much work between us it actually works for both of us. I just pay him whats he is worth. Far as taking the truck home well truck has gps on it problem solved and he lives down tbe rode about 5 farms down. This guy is a health freak he doesn't drink. For godsake he packs this body builders lunch with green looking shakes yuck! My friend is a cheap ass and he knows it thats why he can't keep employees around. Hope this clarifies some things

17. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I let some guys take the truck home. One is for convenience . He lives the next town over and he starts his residental route within a mile from his house. The other guy takes his home because he's " in between vehicles" at this time. He pays for the fuel to travel back and forth and I trust the kid.

18. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I have GPS on all my trucks, but nobody taking my trucks home.. I have subs in place close to props.. They get their first and open the lots up, we help finish, then "nuke" them (salt)

19. tyslawnservice

tyslawnservice Junior Member
    from montana

aint say'n you did right by hiring that guy. but if you don't take care of your employs and you don't even pay for travel then your in the wrong line of work. and may not be legal. here in mt we're not required to give breaks. but we are required to pay to the first job but not from the last job
    :cool:

20. Fox255

Fox255 Junior Member
    from PA

Need Extra Help?

Hey Wilnip,
    This season is to late to start, but I'm hoping for next season i could start plowing. Ill be 17 years old. I live in Johnstown. Seeing with all the big landscaping companies its kinda hard to start alone. If you would be interested in my working with you. Message me.