1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HIR2 vs. 9006

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by P&M Landscaping, Feb 23, 2010.

1. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

I kept having the cone diffuser pop of my low beams on the plow. The last time it popped off it took the bulb with it. I brought it to my dealer, and they fixed it under warranty and they said they would just put in the 9006 bulb instead of the HIR2 bulb. Not only did I notice it wasn't as bright as the HIR2 but it also kept popping. I know Boss said they would fix this issue under warranty, and when I took it to the dealer he just told me how to fix it, and it would help me save on labor?? WTF? I shouldn't be paying anything because it's still under warranty. Am I right? So now I keep dealing with the 9006 bulb popping, and at $10 a pop it's getting pretty expensive. B&B, what can be done about this I feel Boss should be getting me an HIR2 under warranty because the recall states that the diffuser and the bulb should both be fixed. So I guess what I want now is an HIR2 Bulb, that should be under the Boss Warranty is orginally stated. Thanks for the help

-Pete

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The HIR bulb should have been replaced under warranty no questions asked. So it appears you have a viable dispute with the dealer going on because regardless there'd be no "labor" savings no matter what, it's their job to fix it and use the correct parts to do so at no cost to you.

3. P&M Landscaping

Thats exactly how I took it. I even took them the plow on a sunny 40 Degree day, and they said just to do it myself. I can't get them to get me the bulb either. Can you help me to get the bulb at all? They don't have the HIR2 just the 9006 bulb...

4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Find the next closest dealer, tell them your story and hopefully the new dealer will want your business!!
    Labor should be covered by Boss, they will pay the dealer for labor.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Call Boss directly and explain the situation. They'll contact your dealer directly and should get them straightened out.

Sometimes it's necessary to go over their heads (pick the brand name) to get things resolved that should have been easy handled at the dealer level. But of course not all dealers are top notch either.

6. P&M Landscaping

I will see what I can do about that. The major kink in the works is that I bought this plow used. It is still under warranty until next October or November. I will call another dealer and see if they've got the bulb. If not B&B can you help me out at all?

7. P&M Landscaping

I called Boss today actually, and they said I had to deal with the distributor, which I assume is my dealer? I hate to rat them out to the company as I feel they will then forsure give me garbage service in the future... The guy is real nice, as for his worker, complete dumba$$. I hate to make such an uproar over a stinkin bulb, but i'm very fussy... B&B, can you help at all with this? Do you stock the bulb?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's the rest of the story. They don't wish to perform any warranty work because the warranty is effective only to the original registered purchaser, which isn't you. So there's really no way you can expect them to perform free labor or provide free parts because they're not going to be reimbursed for any of it from Boss, and they know that.

So basically if you want an HIR bulb it would need to be on your dime. Have a John Deere dealer around by any chance? Boss isn't the only manufacture that uses HIR bulbs in their equipment. If not, shoot me a PM and I'll get you hooked up with a replacement bulb.

9. P&M Landscaping

Really? I was told through Boss that the warranty was transferable?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I've never had one go through. :rolleyes:

11. P&M Landscaping

HMM, Okay I guess I will call my JD Dealer tomorrow see what they've got. It all makes sense now, thats why they wanted me to make a sales invoice at a walgreens and what not?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Gotta love forgery recommendation. :D

Check the JD dealer and if they don't stock them let me know and I'll get you fixed up.

13. P&M Landscaping

Thank you sir! :salute:

14. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

If you think $10 is expensive for a 9006, then you will really be upset at the price of a HIR2. The cheapest I was able to get one online was for $30 (after shipping).

I got them from this place:

http://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html

15. P&M Landscaping

Called my other local dealer, and holy smokes $31 for a bulb, I think I would have been better off getting Silverstar bulbs or something...

16. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

yeah found that out my dealer sells for 28 each to hell with that silverstars arent much cheaper but alot easier to get ahold of