1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hinnicker plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stevechm, Nov 10, 2004.

1. stevechm

stevechm Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    This is a great site for new people to plowing like myself. I was going to try it last year , but postphoned it. Any ways I have a few questions. 1. Are Hinnicker plows good for starting out ? The dealer is offering a fair price, $4000 which includes everything taxes, installation , 1 year warranty
    24 hour service etc.The dealer also said they have one that fits my truck. I'm only planning on doing a few small parking lots which will help me pay for the plow and still make some money. The next question is what do you think of it going on a 95 GMC 5.7L 4X4 1/2 ton. Should this truck be able to handle some plowing and is there anything I could do to improve or help my truck.
    Sorry for the long post, any ansewers would be appreciated.

2. ScottyB.

ScottyB. Member

For some reason, Hinikers are not mentioned much on this site.
    I have a 1998 8'2" Straight blade on my F250 and it's been good to me.
    I use it for plowing my LONG driveway and a few neighbors and relatives. The only problems I have is that the electrical contacts are touchy and if they are not completely clean and lubed, the control box doesn't work. This is fixed simply by cleaning the contacts and making sure everything is plugged in well.
    I can't tell you how'd it hold up for a lot of commercial use, but I see no reason NOT to buy a Hiniker for medium duty work. My dealer has been good and he swears he doesn't see alot of Hiniker problems in the shop.

I also think their hook/unhook is as good as anyone's.

Good Luck,
    Happy plowing.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

A friend of mine has one that he uses for commercial work. He's had no major problems with it.

4. moel

moel Junior Member

i can't testify to the Hiniker personally, but a friend has a 2 year old model straight blade and he plows out a trailer court with it and like it
    I bought one (see sig) because it was priced right and they are made about 5 miles from my home
    oops - guess i don't have signature in proper place i got an 8' trip edge plow with plastic deflector on top

5. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I love my Hiniker sure its not something spectacular but it works and is strong. 4,000 seems high though. Mine was 1,500 and then 800 for installation. Of course it was purchased with the truck so that might be why. O and taxes are 7% so it was 2,405. So besides the price I think your making a good choice. The big part about the plow I like is its a simple design. Takes no time to put on and everything is manual and not spring loaded so less to worry about. Only problem though is the plow slides on a half circle support and tears the paint off which builds up rust and doesn't look very good.

6. syNNer

syNNer Junior Member

I have the new Hiniker 8 foot poly split trip, used it way too much last season - awesome blade, just ordered the new Hiniker Scoop blade for the new truck. The easy on and off mounting is very slick.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have a 8ft straight blade hiniker on my 01 dodge 2500, paid $3,250 uninstalled. I have only used it for one season, I have had little to no problems with it. It has been used enough to wear out one cutting edge, But I still wonder how it's going to hold up over the long haul as it has a couple of small stress cracks that I'll weld up before it goes out this year. my boss v & myers seem to be built stronger, the boss is 6yr old (mouthed on a 98 dodge 2500) and only thing that I've done to it is new cutting edge's , two hoses and change the hydro fluid and the myers is 30yr old its been rebuilt, welded back together and rewelded ,but what do you expect from a 30 yr old truck & plow(74 3/4 dodge snocomander). so the bottom line, its a good cheep plow but if you have the money get a boss v or a myers I think there a little better, but there heaver too. my .02 cents