1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker vs Western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by orange toys, Jan 5, 2010.

1. orange toys

orange toys Member

My dealers has both brands but says everyone in the area is wanting the hinikers, but from the reading i have done the western is the way to go. What do you all think is the better plow and why?
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

id go with the western, there well built, easy to hook up and part support is good
  3. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

Just look at them side by side. The western is build so much better!
  4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have had Hiniker V-Plows for years now...My new truck I am getting this week will be getting a MVP Western. I have been happy overall with the Hinikers, but am looking to try something different and the dealer has really good pricing on them right now!
  5. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

We have 2 Hiniker V plows and have had no issues with them. The western we have (straight blade) has been nothing but trouble.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

My buddies got 4 westerns...all with problems.

Personally I like plows that have Direct Lift as opposed to the Chain Lift....That is the deciding factor for myself...So I choose Hiniker.
  7. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

The only thing that scares me about direct lift is if the plow won't lift your euchared! At least with a chain lift you can short chain the blade to get back to the shop.
  8. MileHigh

Ok lets see...How would you short chain a direct lift plow? The same way you would a chainer...only without a chain.

You would drive into a pile (or jack plow up) and use a ratchet strap to "short chain" the direct lift plow.
  9. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

only with a chainer you would just shorten the chain, no need for a ratchet strap, but yes point taken. I was not being smart assed, I have never used a direct lift blade and do not know how the system works, or if it could be "short chained"...........now i know, thx for the info:salute:
  10. Rossland&seal

Rossland&seal Junior Member

Hiniker push-plates

We have a 3 year old Hiniker c-plow, and the push plates have completely severed 2 out of the last 3 years, with the plow falling off of the truck. I also know of 2 other contractors in our area that have had the same problems {and only a few companys have hinikers in our area}. We have also have had problems with the motor and solenoids in the past. Now all we run are Fisher v plows and Fisher XLS plows and we have yet to have a problem.
  11. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

What do you mean by push plates? As in the mold boards?
  12. Rossland&seal

yes, the actual frame on the truck, we actually broke our second set 2 days ago, we are getting a set of forks custom fabricated this week
  13. jake2333

jake2333 Junior Member

I have ran Hininker plows for 5 years and have had zero problems until this year. I too had the fork bust right off the truck. I have heard some others have this and Hiniker ignores the flaw. I have been completely satisfied otherwise....hope that does not happen again.
  14. Rossland&seal

Our truck with the hiniker c plow is going up for sale it has been nothing but problems. when it works it pull plows and scrapes good but there is too much down time due to break downs. we replaced it with a fisher xls 8"-10" ft. expanding plow. We do a lot of condos with a lot of pull plowing and the xls backdrags just as good as the c plow pull plows.
  15. orange toys

orange toys Member

besides the hiniker c plow having some motor/solinoid issues how is the plow its self when working correctly
  16. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I have an older C-plow and it has given me no troubles whatsoever. They will all break at some point. Hopefully you can catch it while still minor. I would recommend the Hiniker.
  17. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Yeah that sounds good! Hooking up a ratchet strap at 4 in the morning in the cold. I have a direct lift with my Boss and love it. ITS DEPENDABLE. I've had Hiniker and like the others said it was nothing but problems. The plow doesn't go high enough in IMO, even after adjusting the "horns". The truck side "horns" are a horrible design, they start to bend down after a few years. Western all the way and you if want the direct lift Boss. Stay away Fromm Hiniker!
  18. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I purchased a Western this past fall and havent had any issues with it yet (knock on wood), although it is an older unimount I have been hearing about quality issues with the new Westerns. There is 2 major problems I have with the hinikers 1) the grill plugs are too small and corode easily and are very hard to get a good connection. 2) the truck mounting forks are weak and break off right at the notch letting the plow fall off of the truck:mad:
  19. orange toys

orange toys Member

in my area i bet you see 5 hinikers to 1 of any other brand.
  20. MileHigh

I was simply referring too how to transport a broken direct lift plow....

One question smart guy...

How would you "short chain" your direct lift boss plow at 4 in the morning in the cold????

My lord.