1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker V-Hopper Spreader...any good????

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by sweetlou48096, Jun 24, 2007.

1. sweetlou48096

sweetlou48096 Junior Member
    from 48096

Need some education on the HINIKER V-Hopper Spreader.
    Running a 8' Hiniker "C" plow and love that, and a few people
    have told me they put out a mighty fine salt spreader, and
    don't know anyone who has one. AnyBody out there that
    can give me some good advice.
  2. Got Diesel?

Got Diesel? Junior Member

I have the SS 8' model and the only thing I can say is I'm a bit disappointed in the purchase.

(bear in mind I bought it 1 year old from a dealer who used it as a demo)

Heres the reasons....

1. When I bought it as a stainless spreader I assumed that it would all be SS but to my surprise some of the fasteners are steel, the "V" that hovers over the convayer and the supports on the top of the hopper (both the spots that come in contact with the salt) is also steel = RUST

2. I have already had numerous issues with the electric throttle, seems to work only when its warm (yeah got that) so every time I shut it off I have to put it in the choke setting so it will restart. After it is started seems to work OK.

3. I think the newest model will swing away for a trailer, but mine will not so that is a HUGE inconvenient not being able to pull a trailer.

Other than that once it starts, it works as designed.

Looked at Salt Doggs and am having buyers remorse after talking to a guy in Chicago who runs 18 of them and swears by them. If I were to do it again I think I would try the Salt Dogg.