1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker users past/ present

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenmtboy, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Hey, I have all but worn out the search function and figured it was time to start a new thread. From what I have read on this forum, Hiniker's blade/moldboard is very well built, the mounting forks have had problems in the past but this issue has been addressed and since then they have not seen the forks fail according to Hiniker. So the question I have is, has there been any problems with the a-frame and the lifting mechanism on these plows? I'm am curious how they will hold up to commercial and municipal use. The municipality is what I'm most worry about, they will be dropping there plow at 30 mph +/- at any given time, and with all the hazards, curbs, catch basins, manholes, bridge expansion joints and so on. What is the life expectancy of this plow under these circumstances? Just so its clear, the models I'm asking about would be there trip edge plows, 9' straight, 10' straight, 9' scoop and 9.5 V.

Thanks

2. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

I have a 8' Hiniker straight blade. It is a 1999 model that I purchased used in 2005. It was not used hard before I purchased it, but I abuse it. They are very durable. The only problems I have had with it are one solenoid, and I bent the lift linkage once. Other than that it has all been normal maintenance. IMO Hiniker has the quickest mounting system avaliable, Boss's is quick but I think Hiniker's is faster. From what I understand on the fork problem, they had some bad steel for a few years, the newer ones and the older ones have not had problems.

I think all the brands are good. It comes down to the options you want, and having a good dealer nearby. It would really suck to have to drive 100mi to get parts.

I don't think any of the pick-up plows are going to hold up well for the type of Municipal use you described. 30+ mph? Sounds like a good way to destroy equipment

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I think you will be hard pressed to find someone that puts their plows through those conditions on a regular basis. I have run Hinikers for many years with little to no problems worth noting. If used as you discribe I would say any plow will be easily susceptible to breakage. The city of Shoreview and White Bear Lake here in MN have been using Hiniker plows for a few years now. Not sure how they have been holding up though.
    Hiniker says that the reason their forks were breaking was because guys were hitting snowbanks to hard trying to stack too high:dizzy: . Lame excure but I have never had an issue. Currently run a 8.5' V, a 9' Scoop and a 8' Straight (don't own them all).

4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

They are great plows overall, we have broke 5 sets of mount forks & 3 lift frames (the tube frame that the pump sits on) We have also had alot of A-Frame issues on the older steel V-plows from cracking where the adjustment nut is attached.

5. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

4th season for my 8' poly. Only issues i had is hose was rubbing, turned the fitting a 1/4" and solved that problem. This fall when getting it ready, I had no power. The fuse blew, so another easy fix. It is esy and fast to hook/unhook.

I dont think they will stand up to the 30+ mph abuse your talking about, but I dout any plow would.

6. Workin 25/8

Workin 25/8 Junior Member
    from SD

We've had a C-Blade for about 7 or 8 years. It does some smaller lots and apartments then takes off to hit its rezi route. It is awesome for peeling off hard packed and getting close to garages. New guy learning to plow snapped an angle cylinder mount couple weeks ago but easy fix with the welder:mechanic:. Replaced one solenoid and with the regular maintenance have had zero problems. Like everyone said, probably won't hold up to 30 mph drops and care free operators. Hopes it helps.

7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Ive used them quite a bit have had problems with the mount breaking off the truck like many others. Overall I like the Hinikers but I cant stand there mounting system pita to put on and a weak design jmo.

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

How are they hard to put on? Takes 30 seconds. Do you collapse the lift cylinder when you take it off?

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

WOW, you are up to that many? Time to hire some new operators I think :dizzy:. I know a lot of guys running these and never heard of any breaking so far.

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

A buddy just broke one side of the lift hoop on Thursday. A lady cut him off and he hit a snow/ice bank at an angle doing 35mph he's guessing plow.jpg

plow.jpg

11. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Yup collapse the lift cylinder and set the stand. Problem for me is getting it to slide far enough onto the mount to get the slide lever to engage the plow always likes to slide on the shop floor rather than slide onto the mount. Like I said overall I like Hinikers just some features I don't care for.

12. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

I could see that being a problem on a shop floor. I have the same problem, but when I remove mine I leave it outside and I just run it into a snow bank when taking it off so that when I drive into it the plow can't slide forward.

One thing you could try is adjusting the height of the mount up and down to see if it will slide better. Also greasing the forks wouldn't hurt anything either.

I have a 7.5 foot hiniker and I haven't had any issues with it. I like the mounting system and the plow has worked great. I haven't had any issues with the forks, but as I understand people only really had issues with the larger plows due to their weight and not with the smaller ones like mine.

13. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Been their done that. We have casters we put under them when in the shop. Just wheel it over

14. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I have never heard of the lift hoop breaking untill Tuesday morning. Two of us were plowing a lot and I looked over to see the plow dragging on the ground. Broke both sides. Welded it and plated it in time for Wednesdays blizzard.

15. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have had one on a truck for 10 yrs now. I have replaced a hydraulic hose and the controller (I left it wedged between the seats one off season and messed up the joystick). It doesn't install or remove like it used to (grease would help) but it stays on all season. Great plow. The new poly moldboards look sharp too.

16. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

That's the same place ours break in as well just from normal use

17. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I have a new 9.5 V that I bought in December and love everything about it. I have used boss v plows in the past and I would run this over a boss any day. I love the trip edge, it scraps down awesome and seems to roll the snow better than the boss xt even. I live about 6 miles off the highway and usually have to plow my way home after I get done plowing and I used to love the boss cause it would throw the snow farther than any plow I had used till then but this hiniker does a much much better job at scraping it down and rolling it off the road. The difference I see is the hiniker rolls it and the boss throws it if that makes any sense. I don't run anywhere near 30 mph but have plowed at 25 and in my opinion that is plenty fast enough plowing snow.

18. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks for everyone's input. Sounds like they are a pretty solid unit.