1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hiniker scoop plows

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by smokin4by, Jan 6, 2010.

1. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

i am looking for any more info i can find on the hiniker scoop plow. i am interested in adding one of these and wantto know the pros/cons of this plow. i think with a heavy truck it would clear a great pile, just want to know about cutting edge life span, and how well it stands up. also wondering about its wieght on hinikers mount set-up.

any info would help

2. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

also is this thing just a monster hanging off the front, trying to drive around with??

3. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

2 winters on my 3500 Duramax dump. LOVE this plow! Way less spillage off sides when cleaning up. Moves lots of snow in a hurry! It is about 750 some pounds, no doubt its hangin on front of truck...lol..but not harder to handle then any other plow.

Very easy to drop off for salting runs though.

4. torquet

torquet Junior Member

They are great plows. I had one a couple years ago. Just got out of plowing for myself all togetther. anyways cutting edges last just as long as they would on any straight blade. I think Brent at ultimatetrucksplus.com has one in stock. he is located in Danville, Indiana

5. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

I have used a 9 ft scoop a few times as a demo. Works great for carrying snow, especially those 2-3 inch snowfalls in parking lots. The cutting edge is three pieces, nice not to have all nine feet trip at once. I think it weighs in the 830# range. Let me know if your local dealer doesn't have one.

6. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

thanks for the info guys.i'm wanting to try one out bad. it would be the only hiniker we'd have, but i think it would be a great clean up plow. i am just about sold on being able to turn the scoop with the truck. i can see that being a big plus. just a little concerned there are not very many videos on youtube of them.

7. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

I have heavy duty CAT cutting edges on mine and they last forever. Two seasons and almost no signs of wear. This truck plows for an avg of ten hours on every outing.

8. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Crappy video

Attached Files:

9. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

man i'd like to see that video but i can't get it to open with anything. i'd also really like to know more about those cutting edges. did you just match up old ones? we get two years out of the ones on our IT28g and thats putting 3-6 hrs a day on it. i never thought about using those edges. GREAT idea.

let me know if you can post that video another way. i just couldn't find a program to open it.

10. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

it should be quicktime. its just a video from cell phone makin some circles.:nod:

Ill check with my brother he put the edges on the plow...

11. torquet

torquet Junior Member

You won't be disappointed if you choose a scoop plow, or any Hiniker model for that matter.

12. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Correct. If you don't mind break downs and down time Hiniker is right for you!

13. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Why don't you elaborate? Instead of throwing bs around. I haven't had any issues except the little joystick/switch on the controller on the 97' not too bad. $27 fix for 12 seasons of plowing I can live with that.

14. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

B.S.? Elaborate, no problem. This is not just me but also several of my friends have had the same problems. The plastic tank for your ATF or whatever you run could be replaced every year and always the same out come, cracks. The moldboard develops large rust holes in it after just a few seasons, even when you wash the "turd" after every use. And I don't even know what to say about the pi$$ poor "fork" design. Forks that crack and or fall off when the plow is on, yeah thats safe. I've been plowing snow for 30 plus years now and I won't go as far as saying Hiniker is the worst out there, but being a step above Meyer is really not a place I would want to be! Theres just three of the many complaints I have. I am truly happy that you have not had any major issues, but this guy would never suggest buying a Hiniker. NEVER.

15. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you guys are doing something wrong. I will say i have heard about the forks having issues but only with the big V's. I have run a straight blade for a few years and have not had one issue whats so ever. I spray it down after MOST uses and it does not have any visible rust. Works perfect every time. Sounds like you didnt give them a fair chance and are now bias to what you currently run. Also if the fork design was that huge of a deal they would have changed it by now. Stuff breaks thats plowing, thought you would know that after "30 plus years" of plowing.

To the original posters question though... the scoop plows are great IMO. I know of atleast 14 of them that are owned by friends and all perform well in all conditions. Allows you to windrow the deep heavy stuff while still having the ability scooping tons of snow when needed. 9' is not that big of a plow on the front of a truck, 10' is big. The Hiniker Scoop Plow is fairly light for a 9' blade. The trucks that I know of are all 3/4tons (one cab chassis chev) and all hold the weight just fine. I have put it on my Dodge with no issues as well.

Here in MN (cities anyways) Hiniker plows are very popular an have only heard of 1 fork issue. That was a guy that is on this board out of St.Cloud. Stuff happens while plowing, thats the game we play. Proper maintanence and a quick inspection of equipment before going out is a great way to avoid break downs.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  16. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

We have had 5 of the fork sets break, however they are all 8'6" V-plows and I do blame the problem of the fact the plows are very heavy! I have had alot of issues with our Hiniker plows however I blame heavy use and such not poor design on that, I have always wanted to try a scoop plow myself but don't know of anyone who has one!

17. Rob From APE

Rob From APE Junior Member

Hinker does offer a Curb Guard kit ($89) or Cutting Edge Wear Plate Kit ($70) list prices. These will drastically lengthen they life of your cutting edges. Well worth the money. Your local dealer should have these on hand.

18. Snow-Con

Snow-Con Member

Well into my second year with mine, no cracks--in anything--and no rust on the moldboard.

Only issue I've had has been a solenoid, and supposeldy Hiniker knows it, so they re-designed it. Plus I...(koff...koff) tend to believe after many hours that I can stack higher if I keep lifting the plow. It's a stupid habit.
    LOL

Oh and I did have to replace the cutting edge this year, but that was my fault--caught the corner of a ledge that wasn't supposed to be there at about 25mph, took about a 6 inch gouge out of the steel.

19. Snow-Con

Snow-Con Member

To the OP: the tractor/plow dealer I use most has a Hiniker scoop that he uses on one of his 1 tons to clean out the place. He loves it--and he's used everything from plowing town roads in years past to all the straight blades in the world. Only thing is he does no backdragging on his lot, so he couldn't tell me how that part worked. I'm tempted to hook up to his blade someday just to see.

20. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

Call a dealer that handles Hiniker along with other brands. Talk to the Service Manager or techs. That's all I am gonna say.:whistling: