1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker scoop for skid ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mnguy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. mnguy

mnguy Member

I looked into the kage but $ 4500 for a kage on sale is a little high. I am debating getting a 8 ft hiniker scoop for the skid (2006 john deere 320 ) can anyone give me some feedback on them. I think they are about $ 3200. Can you put down pressure on them? How do they stack the snow? Any help would be great, thank you in advance
    Darend

2. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I've got a 9' scoop for the pickup.

What you are working with would be a lot different than a pickup.
    The down pressure comes from your skid arms.

With the pickup they stack dry snow just fine. Wet heavy snow.............. not so well.
    Again with much stronger hydraulics than a pickup will ever have I'm sure it'd stack snow just fine.

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

No down pressure they have chains
    edit... If you do get a scoop put curb guards on it, two reasons 1. if you run curbs you will rub on the frame behind the cutting edge 2. the cutting edge will wear more even/square the outside edges will wear the same as the center with the extra material of the curb guards

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  4. mnguy

mnguy Member

Thanks for the info would you recommend a plow for a skid that has down pressure? New to plowing with the skid steer. Thanks

5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Spend the money and get the k age.

J.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I agree with peterbilt. The extra $1300 is worth the versatility of Kage or look at the Snow Wolf plows as well. They are built as well as Kage IMO. The down pressure issue is all dependent on what type of plowing you're doing. For residential it's a must have, for wide open areas, not so much. Snow Wolf also offers Wolf Wings if you don't want the Fast-Tach system. They turn the plow into a little more of a scoop.

7. Snubber

Snubber Junior Member

Scoop vs Kage

I just went through the same decision on a 9ft. and opted for the Kage. Only pushed one snow so far, but feel the added investment was well worth it. Keep in mind when comparing cost the Hiniker does not come with the hydraulic fittings, were the Kage does.

8. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I priced a hiniker 7.5' straight for skid steer a few years back. Thought is was around $2200-2300. I liked the idea of being chain hung to provide an integrated float & some side to side oscillation so I wouldn't gouge, but I am using on gravel drives mostly.

No matter what blade you choose I would make sure it has some type of trip mechanism when you hit something solid.

9. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

We looked at a couple options for a new plow this year, we were running a Blizzard 810 and the 9' Kage was our decision for a new plow.

1. With the box on it has way more capacity then the Blizzard or a scoop plow would.
    2. Back dragging was important as we have some loading docks to clear
    3. Down pressure is something you will benefit greatly from. We have an old artic we keep as back up that is chain lift and the guys would rather use a bucket then the arctic because it can't scrape at all. You end up using more salt too when you can't scarpe which is never a good thing either.
    4. Also aside from the angle rams there is no solenoids or electrical things to fail with the kage. I realize this would be the same with a scoop but it was a constant issue with our blizzard.

10. mnguy

mnguy Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to go with a 8ft kage. I found out hiniker 8ft scoop $3200 only hung from a chain so no down pressure. Boss plows have down pressure but at $ 2800 without box ends it didn't make sense. Kage is running a special and they (Kristin) is great to deal with. We just need snow......
    Thanks again