1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker question

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by ChicagoPlower, Nov 17, 2010.

1. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

How many c-plow owners have their plow on a chevy 2500 non HD? Hiniker says the plow can be installed on the truck, but it's a heavy plow 800lbs, and I'm wondering how the front end will handle it. Thanks for any input-

2. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I can't speak for a Chevy but local guy who plowed commercially had this plow mounted on a early 90's F-150. It made the wheels camber out badly. I would think your 2500 would be capable with ballast weight. Ballast is probably more important with this plow because weight/mass is amplified when tilting downard.

3. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Gm didnt want anyone puttin larger heaver plows on the ex cab diesel. That being said, my nephew just had a 8.5 V installed on his 07, 6.0 gasser reg cab. I have a 8' poly on my 07 reg cab diesel for 3 yrs without a issue. Not as heavy as a C plow, but cant be too far off.

Sorry just noticed you had 2500 NON hd...guess I worked to hard today and need a drink....

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. ChicagoPlower

Thanks for the responses. The truck is a 6.0l. I'm going to install a leveling kit and possibly timbrens too. That plus ballast should give the front end the support it needs.

5. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I have a 8.5 mvp on my 2001 chevy 2500 non hd... dropped my front end 1 1/2"

6. kandrts

kandrts Junior Member

My truck is a 04 Chevy 1/2 ton, extended cab short box, and it is the local hiniker demo truck, i put on timbrens, cranked the torsions and had it aligned at our shop. With a C or V plow on mine, the front end only drops about an 1 1/2" and that is with no ballast in the back.

7. ChicagoPlower

Thanks again for the responses. I'm going to install a 2" leveling tommorow. I think that should take care of the nose dive. If I need to, I'll install timbrens as well. We'll see, but I think the leveling kit will be enough.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  8. rbtaylor14

rbtaylor14 Junior Member
    from NW Iowa

I am new to posting here but have been viewing the site for years now. I love the timbrens. I also had my torsions turned up 4 turns. I run 560lbs of ballast as well. If I am correct Hiniker recommends 500lbs of ballast to be run. I have never had a problem since I did all the above and my truck is a 1500 with a diesel in it. Yes I know a little truck to be plowing with but it works.

9. cole22

cole22 Senior Member

Theres a guy around me that has a late 80"s Blazer with a older 7.5 v plow on it. With God know how much ballast on the receiver hitch! I'll try take a picture of it next time I see it out and about! And it actually looks some what healthy!

10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

You can only do one or the other from what I understand. If you put a leveling kit on the Timbrens are not functional anymore...they will sit too high and not touch the lower control arm like designed.

A 2500 Non HD will handle a C-plow just fine. FYI a 2500 non HD is the same as a 1500HD.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  11. Eric67ct

Eric67ct Junior Member

I have a 2000 F-350 Crew Cab with 8' bed; 8' C-Plow fits nicely. No ballast or levelling either. Sits and performs well.

--Eric