1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hiniker plows ?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by packman1973, Feb 4, 2009.

1. packman1973

packman1973 Junior Member

i am considering selling hiniker plows at my facility and would like some input. i have always used western and boss so i know these are tried and true. let me know what you think thanks. oh yeh i had 8 good inches to push last night. gotta love it

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

. oh yeh i had 8 good inches to push last night. gotta love it[/QUOTE]

That could be interpreted a few ways:D Anyway I like the Hinikers, knock on wood I haven't had any troubles.
  3. packman1973

i guess i should have thought that quote through but i like your thinking. thanks for the input on the hiniker plows. have you heard anything about the new c blade?
  4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

The c plows really arent that new they have been around for almost 10 years I would guess. They have there issues like any plow does. The grill plugs are extremely picky and like to short out and make bad connections. Also the mounts have a weak spot at the notch and I have seen 2 broken firsthand. They dont have the lift height of a boss which can be really frustrating when stacking.
  5. packman1973

thanks for the input . i know the c-plow has benn around but i was told that they have been redesigned.anyway i appreciate the help. plow on!!
  6. Mamesman

Mamesman Junior Member
    from Alaska

Yes they are older and have been re-designed. They went from a full blade trip to a cutting edge trip only and changed to poly and some frame upgrades. The problems I have had are on some of the previouse posts (broken forks and center bolt) but they are things that can be fixed or remedied if Hiniker would just step up to the plate and admit the problem and solve it!

The Hiniker hydraulic system supposedly can not get air in it and it is super fast. I had to go to the -50degree oil at about 20 above, it was noticible when first starting or driving from spot to spot, I burnt a solenoid and then a motor up and I think that may have contributed heavily.

I keep my plugins heavily lubed in electric grease to help keep them positively connected and keep those plugs from getting hard.

The wings if you choose them are poorly designed, partially on purpose. They have belting for the top and bottom due to the C portion having to curl over. I guess the theory is that solid wings would dig in on the front corners and cause surface and maybe plow damage. I lay my plow out flat, pull up to my spot, drop the plow and then curl under. This creates good down pressure and makes the bottom belting unnecessary. you can modify the wings with solid bottoms if you do this. I also added two chunks of angle iron fromt he side plate the wing pins are on towards the center to the next plate in. This strengthened the side one from bending so easily. Then I added a chain with a quick pin release from the foreward center of the wing over to an eye bolt just below the upper cutting edge about 16" in on the plow. (make sure the chain mounts to the wing high enough that when you curl under with the C it does not bind on the lower cutting edge). This takes almost all the outward stress off of the wings so they again don't bend out. Easy cures to an annoying problem. I could send some pictures if you want.

One more trick if you use the C straight out, mount a couple corner markers with spring bases just below the upper cutting edge so the stick slightly foreward when the plow is straight out flat. This allows you to pull up to something and not slice it open lika a can opener. When you curl back up to a regular plow, the markers just stick back towards the truck along side the factory ones. The plow straight out will go thru a garage door long before you even realize you are hitting anything.

Anyhoooo, I love the C plow for driveways, I just wish they would fix the darn breaking fork problem, or atleast man up and admit it needs to be taken care of!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Great plows other than the crap they call a mount... we have broken 4 of them it the past 3 years! If they could fix that I would almost say they are a bulletproof plow in my opinion
  8. packman1973

thanks alot guys for all the input . i really appreciate it.-------jeremy
  9. tutianoburgante

tutianoburgante Member

That could be interpreted a few ways:D Anyway I like the Hinikers, knock on wood I haven't had any troubles.[/QUOTE]
  10. tutianoburgante

tutianoburgante Member

We have 25 Hiniker plows in our fleet and have only simple little problems. We won't change to any other brand for nothing.
  11. Chives10

Chives10 Junior Member

Tutianoburgante even if someone ships you a plow for free.
  12. tutianoburgante

tutianoburgante Member

I mean we would try anything but we have a great deal of responsiblity and can't afford break downs and Hiniker hasn't let us down yet.