1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker Plow problem

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by RichG53, Oct 20, 2008.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I hooked the plow up Sunday to move it..It gos up & down just fine but will not angle either way.. I can hear the pump run,I even pushed up against a stump to force it nothing...I do remember tightening the ram packing nuts a bit last year to prevent some leaking (weeping),,Could that be my problem that over summer the expanded.. ???? I did loosen the passenger side but can't get the drivers side to move,(pipe wrench) (but that I will work on ).(sprayed with PB blaster) My problem is the angling.. Any thoughts ??? I also have installed Timbrens the front end It did drop more then I expected (1- 1 1/2 ) I probably need to crank the T-Bars a bit... But plow problem is the first thing I need to fix... Any help would be great.... Thanks ! ! ! ! Rich....

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You would expect some drop when you add 700+lbs to the front.
    1-2 inches is normal the weight has to come on to the timbrens.
    If you crank your t-bars you will effect ride quality any your alignment.

Take a look at your plug.
    Look the small pins they get corroded and bent or just fall out of the plug altogether.

Rams..
    They moved last time you used it right?
    Your problem is not in the rams...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  3. RichG53

I can hear the pump run when i move the lever, just does not move...Checked the connections they are ... find Die-Electric grease......I think the drop is to much...I don't plan on cranking them a lot just a little..The tims are touching quite a bit all ready... I Think it needs to be tweeked.... Need plow help first...

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Just because the pump runs does not mean a signal is getting to your coils..
    Those little pins get bent and broken in the plug.
    It is very rare that both coils would go bad at once.
    Recheck all of your connections at the pump (coils, valves), plug and your controller.

fluid level?

5. torquet

torquet Junior Member

loosen one of your hoses and try to angle it. When I changed my fluid and cleaned my screen last year it would only go up and down. I messed with the buttons on the solenoids and ended up loosening my hoses to the side-to-side cylinders and getting the air out i guess. It ended up working. You might give it a shot.

6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

We had the same thing happen last year, it ended up being a bad coil on the plow.

7. tripper

tripper Junior Member

It sounds like the spool is stuck. In between the angle coils there is a spool that goes back and forth depending on which coil is energized. When the plow sits for a long time it sometimes will get stuck.
    If you test and get power to your coils it is probaby the spool.

8. RichG53

So how do I fix the SPOOL problem..I pulled the solenoid off and cleaned up the shaft..I will have to see if that helps ...

9. tripper

tripper Junior Member

It is inside of that shaft that you cleaned up. If there is a hole on the end of the shaft you can push a nail into it and it should move in a little then pop back by itself. You can try it from both sides. If it does not move then you should take it apart. There are 2 bolts that hold the shaft to the valve body, remove and see if the spool moves. You can remove both sides if needed. DO NOT LOSE ANY PARTS IN THERE. There is a spring and a washer on each side of the spool.
    If the spool moves freely then it is more than likely an electrical problem.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  10. RichG53

Thanks I will look into this.....