1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker Plow Problem

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by NicholasMWhite, Aug 30, 2013.

1. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

I was hoping someone could answer a question for me. For the past two years or so I haven't been able to manual compress my plow lift cylinder for storage. No matter how hard I try I just can't seem to push it down, but aside from that the plow works perfectly and always has which as me perplexed. It also worked perfectly prior to this and I used to always be able to push it down fine.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Should I just install a new release valve kit?
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

are you putting your plow in float mode before you try to push the cylinder down?
  3. NicholasMWhite

Yes and the problem happens with both of my trucks and my other plow works fine. This one used to work but not anymore. Now I have to use a stick to hold the a frame up.
  4. JFUNN

JFUNN Junior Member

Last fall I had to take the top nut off the lift cylinder and spray some lube in on top of the seal and it works great now
  5. NicholasMWhite

Thanks I'll have to try that. Come to think of it this does seem to have started to be a problem around the time that I had to tighten the nut for the seal on the top of the ram because it was seeping a bit. So that would make perfect sense.
  6. LJ Dave

LJ Dave Junior Member

Thanks for posting this solution.
    I had a similar problem with my Hiniker plow lift cylinder. When raising the plow is was making a vibrating screeching noise and when I went to remove the plow from the truck, I could not compress the cylinder all the way down. I removed the upper nut on the cylinder and sprayed a little lithium grease on top of the seal and on the cylinder under the cap and reassembled. Works like new again.
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Might want to relube it with something else. White lith spray grease dries out over time just fyi

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Mixture of fluid film and pb blaster.work a the time