1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker plow help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ice hockey, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Ice hockey

Ice hockey Member

Plow is a old hiniker on a 96 gmc 3500. Was Hardly moving and draining really bad on the battery, we found a bad ground in the power plug so we replaced the harness truck side. Now the plow works normal speed but only goes up even when moving it sideways and drops after you let off the switch. Any suggestions?

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

How is your fluid level?

3. Ice hockey

Ice hockey Member

Was fine when I checked it before I replaced the harness.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

If fluid level is still good, I am going to lead to a stuck solinoid or valve.

Someone who works with Hiniker plows will chime in get you on the right track here. If it was a Western, I could get you going down the right path, but I don't know Hinikers. Sorry

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

How is it today?

6. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Two problems are occurring. First, no valves are activating when the motor is running. Second, the float/release valve is stuck partway open or has power when no function is active.

7. Ice hockey

Ice hockey Member

So what's the solution?

8. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Your problem is very likely electrical. It is vey hard to troubleshoot over a forum thread. I would suggest getting the plow to a dealer. If that is not an option, start with getting the electrical schematic for your plow. Check for power at the coils at the appropriate times. If there is power at the wrong times, then Find points in the wiring harness where you can check for power without probing the wire.
    I'm not saying that your problem might not be simple. It could be as simple as the wrong kind of grease at the truck plug but it requires troubleshooting to figure out the problem.

Edit: after rereading your opening post. It is possible you used a new style black truck harness to replace an old style grey loom truck harness. The two are not compatible and would require the plow side harness changed to the new style as well.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  9. Ice hockey

Ice hockey Member

I always use dielectric grease. Is that the right kind or wrong kind?