1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker plow 4 years old.

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by Mike8, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Mike8

Mike8 Junior Member
    from Ohio

This morning I blew the in line fuse in the harness, my plow then would angel and raise but not lower, I noticed the valve had one terminal burnt and it came off. I went and got the valve and now my plow will raise and angel but will not stay up. I took the valve out of the pump and replaced the o ring, nothing is leaking but still the plow will raise and angle but not stay up. I went back and the guy talked me into buying a new control, 320.00 later it does the same thing. I also notice the sound (whine) is gone when raising the plow, can anyone help me in getting this plow functioning. I can plow if I wanted to hold the up on the control all day. It will go up, angle but drifts quickly down. ON the control it is green when lifted but when it starts to drift it turns amber. The start of this was it woud not lower, I could angle go up but not down,:help:

2. hinikerman

hinikerman Junior Member

Make sure there is no voltage on the blue wire (lowering solenoid) while the plow is in the up position. You said the fuse had blown, did replacing the solenoid fix this fuse issue? If there is a short in the harness this problem can occur (12 volt to "Blue" wire with at all times). Check the connector at the grill for any pins that might be missing, bent over or misaligned.It is normal for the led bulb on the joystick to turn yellow while in the float mode. The only way for it to change color is electronically. I doubt the joystick was bad, but its ok to have a new one as a backup. Did you replace just the solenoid, or did you buy the full replacement rebuild kit? Also, what plow type do you own.

gieser Services
    Hiniker sales & service
    Southeast Support Team

3. Mike8

Mike8 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I just replaced the solenoid and the O ring on the cartridge release valve since I was drifting down after the solenoid was changed and valve loosened up when I changed solenoid.. Yes after I changed the coil it did the trick on blowing the in line fuse. I had been plowing for about 5 hours when this happened. Actually the reason for replacing the solenoid was when I changed the fuse the first time the top terminal on the coil shorted and actually came out of the solenoid. I will check the voltage today, have to wait for son to come over, plow won't stay up long enough for me to check it myself, maybe I will take momma out to help.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You could unplug the coil wire to the lowering coil to eliminate it being an electrical issue.

5. Mike8

Mike8 Junior Member
    from Ohio

When coil is unplugged the plow still falls, I tried that yesterday.

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Then you have a bad valve.

7. Mike8

Mike8 Junior Member
    from Ohio

The sound is even gone when lifting, it made me think pump wasn't running, there is no sound at all now.

8. hinikerman

hinikerman Junior Member

Can you confirm that when you operate the joystick that the pump motor is running? You can go to Hiniker.com and review the exploded view of the pump & how the solenoid is supposed to be installed. Look at the the section above the dealer locater and find the "manuals" section. Find your plow type and look at the pump. You will see that the spring & plunger are behind the solenoid. Disassemble the valve one more time, remove the plunger and spring, then use a light and look for trash in the passage way.

Thanks

Gieser Services
    Hiniker Sales & service
    Southeast Support Team

PS low fluid can cause you many problems. Collapse the lift cylinder like you were going to remove the plow from your truck (as per the manual) and then check the fill to line!!

9. Mike8

Mike8 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks I'll try it first thing in the morning. Another thing was when the old solenoid burnt the plow wouldn't go down but it would lift and move right to left and visa versa. At first not going down was intermittent, when I changed the solenoid was when it wouldn't't stay up, but I did have the valve out because when changing the solenoid it loosened the valve and I ripped the o ring.

10. Mike8

Mike8 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hinikerman, loking at the manual, when I changed the o ring on the valve I took it in on the work bench, I had fluid coming out of pump at that time......I bet you the spring and orifice came out, I'll check in am. I won't be able to find it in the driveway, you know of any place on line I can buy parts? The place I buy from is 45 miles away from me.

11. hinikerman

hinikerman Junior Member

As a Dealer I try and respect our network of dealers and not sell outside my territory.. The parts are available & your dealer should be able to help you. That being said if they are clueless and do not stock the parts email me at dgieser@comcast.net.

Thanks

Gieser Services
    Hiniker Sales & service
    Southeast Support Team

12. Mike8

Mike8 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hinikerman, no voltage to the solenoid when in the up position, I even unplugged it and still drifts down, still what confuses me is when lifting there is no noise like before when lifting. We are suppose to get blasted with snow tomorrow and Wednesday ,so I am going to have to break down and take it in. Wish I lived in Kingston with my family and I would run it to you in Knoxville, thanks for your help. I didn't know there was so much involved with a plow until you try and work on one.

I just called and taking it in in the morning, they said they should be able to fix it as I wait.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  13. Mike8

Mike8 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Took truck in yesterday, they removed the valve and what happened was when I removed the nut to remove solenoid (coil) it was very tight and rusty. I ratcheted it off and in the process I actually twisted the outside sleeve on the valve. The plunger then could not move inside it freely, it was stuck open allowing it to fall. They changed the valve, with o ring, spring and orifice.......working like new now. Thanks for all your help.

14. hinikerman

hinikerman Junior Member

I'm glad you got your plow working again. Don't forget that you can go to the Hiniker home page and review all manuals & parts diagrams.

Thanks for using Hiniker Plows!!

Gieser Services
    Hiniker Sales & Service
    Southeast Support Team