1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker or Western

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by orca277, Oct 1, 2014.

1. orca277

orca277 Junior Member
    from OH

Little bit of back round of what I'll be using the plow on.
    4 driveways lengths range from 75' to the longest at 300', and my business's parking lot which is about 20,000 sq ft.

The plow will be attached to my 08 tundra ext. cab, 5.7v8 4x4. With that being said I've narrowed it down to two plow manufactures Hiniker and Western. I've come to these 2 plows for a few reasons. Both do not require me to remove the oem skid plate. The Western dealer is 10 minutes away. The Hiniker dealer is family with one of my good friends though about 40 minutes away.

Let me state that yes I know about Fisher plows. The problem is the nearest dealer to me is about 2 hours away. So that took them out of the running.

My question is I cannot seem to find much about Hiniker anywhere while Western has lots of info everywhere. Anyone have any experience with Hiniker? Good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I know several guys that run Hiniker plows commercially, Straight Blade, Scoop Blade and "C" Blade and they love them.
    IMO both are good choices and I'd probably take advantage of the personal tie to the Hiniker dealer.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Western all the way. Unless a C plow is in your sights

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I agree with Buff. If you've got family that run/own a Hiniker dealership and you have a good relationship with them I'd lean that way. I know Hiniker used to have a problem with their A frames, but have since been resolved. Good plow from what I know of them.

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have never scene a Hiniker plow (besides pictures) but, they look to be a pretty decent plow. What size and models are you looking at?

6. orca277

orca277 Junior Member
    from OH

Thanks guys for the input, I already have some numbers on the western just waiting to hear from my friend's family on the hiniker.

7. mercer_me

Another thing I just thought of, from what I understand Fisher and Western have pretty much all the same electrical and hydraulic components so, if you bought a Fisher the Western dealer should be able to fix a lot of things on a Fisher plow.

8. orca277

orca277 Junior Member
    from OH

Western - midweight - poly
    Hiniker - not sure, along with waiting on the numbers want to see what he recommends. but prob the mid-size or heavy-duty

9. orca277

orca277 Junior Member
    from OH

well just a little update, Just got the price from my friend's family on the plow and funny thing is they are getting away from carrying Hiniker plow and have been offering Western plows and recommended the midweight. It's kind of funny because I never told them I was looking at them as well. Their price was also less so I set up the order today and the plow should be in shortly and I'll post a pic of it installed.

10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Mid weight is a nice plow. I own Hinikers but would recommend Westerns.

11. orca277

orca277 Junior Member
    from OH

Plow installed yesterday. Now I think I'm going to put on a leveling kit
    [​IMG]IMAG1570 by aaronk277

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  12. mercer_me

A leveling kit is a really good idea. Tundras sit pretty low stock and push plates are really low to the ground. I have Bilstien 5100 series ride hieght adjustable coil over in my Tundra and I love them

13. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

That looks like a sweet set up. Good choice.

There is a reason they are getting away from Hiniker!

14. orca277

orca277 Junior Member
    from OH

Well got to use the plow today for the first time today. We got about 3-4 inches of snow last night. Man wish I would have bought a plow years ago. Made my Father in-law's driveway which would take me 2-3 hours with a snow blower only 20 min. I'm sure I'm slower than guys doing this every year but by the time I was near the end I started to get things down, and when I got to my store's parking lot it only took me about 1 hour to do. Love this western plow!

15. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

Good to hear! Just remember to leave room for snow later in the year, push as far back as possible AND, probly most importantly, your truck and plow (This goes for any plow truck really) will last much longer if you take your time goes easy on it meaning stopping completely before shifting, not ramming into piles etc etc... Before you know it youll be doing those in half the time

good luck!

16. orca277

orca277 Junior Member
    from OH

Thanks for the advice didn't really think about pushing it back as far as possible which really is more of a issue for the driveways I do as my parking lot has a huge area so no worries there. And I deff stopped each and every time going from reverse or drive and as I said I took it really slow. I think I maxed out at 4 mph and tippy toed once I got close to the piles I was making. This truck has to last me a little while so I baby it as much as I can for what I use it for.