1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hiniker oil question

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by ernest, Nov 8, 2008.

1. ernest

ernest Member

I want to change the hydraulic fluid and I was told to use automatic transmission fluid -Dextron.My plow is 1 year old.Is this the right oil ?

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I always go to the dealer and buy plow hydraulic oil...you maybe able to use ATF but I wouldn't recommend it

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Dealer oil is very $$$$$$$$$ I asked the same thing I was told 5W Hyro W32 ATF and a few others.....Do a search...

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

My brother uses Amsoil trans fluid in his plows but for often you have to do just spend the money on Hiniker's oil. Probably be a difference of $10, if that

5. RichG53

I found In my manual what they recommend for oil..Low temp univis J26. .MIL 5606 good to below -50.....SAE 5.-10 below... .ISO VG 22 SAE 10 & ATF just below 0

6. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i went to the nearest hiniker dealer and bout the hiniker oil for $6 a quart. what's the big deal? helk atf is almost $3 quart. what's a few extra bucks for the right stuff. no brainer in my eyes.

7. Mike W

Mike W Junior Member

Just changed oil in our plow, Hiniker dealer said to use atf as well. Looks like thats what was in it when it got installed too.

8. ramsport1500

ramsport1500 Member

Try Kubota Super UDT, excellent hydro fluid in colder climates, We are a Hiniker plow dealer and this fluid has worked excellent in Hiniker plows

9. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

A big no on ATF!

Do not use ATF. ATF may work fine at temps above 0 but it is much thicker than hydraulic oil designed for snowplows. When temps fall below 0 ATF does not work well. Spend the extra money and buy hydraulic oil made for snowplowing, it only takes about 2 qts. so you will spend a whole $6 more. You can use any brand such as Boss, Meyer ECT. or afermarket such as sams or buyers. I bought mine at NAPA for $7.49/qt.

10. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

i use S.A.M plow fluid . if you have an advance auto store . they should have it . my store has it for 4.99

11. RichG53

How much for the Kobota oil.. ?????? What is S.A.M. fluid.. ????????

12. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

S.A.M. stands for snowplow aftermarket manufacturing, which is a company which makes many aftermarket snowplow parts. It's a blue hydraulic oil made just for snowplows and is good for -50 degrees.

13. RichG53

Where can you find it ??? How much $$$ to buy.....

14. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

S.A.M. hydraulic oil is widley avaliable at many locations. Tractor Supply Co. has it for $7.99/qt.. I got it at NAPA for $7.49/qt. Northern tool caries it. Most snowplow dealers have it or a simmilar hyd. oil in bulk, birng your own jug and have them fill it, it is cheaper that way. Do an internet search for "S.A.M. hydraulic oil" you will find it many places. Central Parts Wharehouse also carries it. Hope this helps you out.
    You could also use hydraulic oil form any of the other brand plows, but whatever you use don't use ATF, you will regret it. Most of the newer plows have very small clerances in their valve banks and ATF is too stiff when it gets cold and your plow will either be very jerky or not work at all. The hyd. oil designed for plows is well worth the extra money.
    Depending on how much you use your plow, and if it is stored inside during the summer you may not have to change it every year. Mine is stored inside and I only change it every other year, and have had no porblems yet. The biggest concern with the oil is water or condensation getting in it, it usually doesn't get very dirty.
    If you have the owners manual for your plow it tells you exactly how to change the fluid and it only takes about 2qts. on my straight blade.
    If you need directions to change it I can give them to you, but I don't check this site frequently so I may be slow to respond.

15. RichG53

Thanks a lot for your help....

16. Snow-Con

Snow-Con Member

When they installed mine they filled it with ATF.

17. RichG53

ATF not good in very cold climate... I was told it has Parafin wax in it...It clogs Screens & Filters.....When it gets very cold...

18. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

very true about atf. ever notice the tranny cooler on your truck. atf is made to take heat. in xtreme cold it's bad. use western/meyer/boss/sam/oil.its all the same .blue=cold weather.

atf will also "snot" up your screens or filter if mixed with other oils.

19. ramsport1500

ramsport1500 Member

Plow oil

Kubota super udt goes for about 4 dollars a quart, Hiniker has their own oil which will work great, we just have super udt on hand and seem to have no problem with it, the plow works with hydraualic fluid, and in cold climates, for plowing, we suggest Hiniker plow fluid or Kubota super UDT, which is a hydro fluid suited for cold standing hydro units
    Thanks for checking
    Shawn
    Eding Tractor Sales
    Kubota and Hiniker dealer